HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gordon Caplan pleaded gui...

Wed May 22, 2019, 08:28 PM

Gordon Caplan pleaded guilty in college admissions scandal

Saw this today

The former co-chairman of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP pleaded guilty to conspiracy and faces the possibility of going to prison after admitting he bribed a consultant with $75,000 to have him rig his daughter’s college board scores.

Gordon Caplan of Greenwich, Connecticut, who specialized in mergers and acquisitions, is one of the highest-profile parents ensnared in a national college-admissions cheating scandal. He admitted Tuesday he conspired with William Rick Singer, the mastermind behind the scam, and funneled the payment through a charity that Singer ran.

When federal prosecutors unveiled the sprawling case in March, Caplan came to personify the extent some of the 33 parents charged were willing to cheat to get their kids into elite schools. Another 17 college coaches and test proctors were also charged in what the government said was the largest college-admissions scandal they’ve prosecuted.

"To be honest, I’m not worried about the moral issue here," Caplan, a graduate of Cornell and Fordham Law School, told Singer. "I’m worried about the, if she’s caught doing that, she’s finished."

You should be, asshole. You just pissed away your career. Surrender your law license now scumbag and never try to get it back. You disgraced the profession, you fuck.

5 replies, 252 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gordon Caplan pleaded guilty in college admissions scandal (Original post)
47of74 May 22 OP
csziggy May 22 #1
47of74 May 22 #2
Blue_true May 22 #3
csziggy May 22 #4
Blue_true May 22 #5

Response to 47of74 (Original post)

Wed May 22, 2019, 08:39 PM

1. Cornell and Fordham Law School needs to add considerable ethics training!

If this is the kind of morals their graduates have, the school has failed their alumni and the country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to csziggy (Reply #1)

Wed May 22, 2019, 08:53 PM

2. Not defending Caplan, but Fordham has produced some good graduates

Jerry Nadler, for one.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #1)

Wed May 22, 2019, 09:14 PM

3. I agree.

Every professional and Trade School should have a mandatory number of hours of ethics education for students. I am not talking about teaching them how to deal with a scandal, I am talking about teaching them how to properly make the distinction between right and wrong to start.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #3)

Wed May 22, 2019, 09:20 PM

4. I think EVERY school, no matter where the students are headed should teach ethics

As well as critical thinking. So much of what is screwed up involves lack of both.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #4)

Wed May 22, 2019, 09:46 PM

5. Good point. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread