HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This message was self-del...

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:18 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (backtoblue) on Wed May 15, 2019, 04:33 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

6 replies, 146 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
backtoblue Wednesday OP
StarfishSaver Wednesday #1
backtoblue Wednesday #2
StarfishSaver Wednesday #4
backtoblue Wednesday #6
gratuitous Wednesday #3
StarfishSaver Wednesday #5

Response to backtoblue (Original post)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:23 PM

1. It really depends

Senators don't have any jurisdiction over local laws. But it sounds strange that the would say there's NOTHING they can do.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #1)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:28 PM

2. I was told that if I feel threatened to call the police

To basically ignore what was happening because these groups "just want attention".

I asked for any information that could be used to counter this and...was told no.

I also requested that these groups be labeled as hate groups, but that question was dodged.

The lady said that all bills are formed in the house, and therefore the Senate could not do anything.

So much for getting help.. I suggested they give a response to what is happening, but was told it wasn't necessary.

Looks like this is truly going to be a local endeavor. Im trying not to give up.

Response to backtoblue (Reply #2)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:31 PM

4. If it's something as immediate and local as being afraid of a local hate group,

the Senator's staff was correct. That's a local law enforcement issue. That wouldn't be in a Senator's purview generally.

Congress also doesn't determine who is and who isn't a hate group. That's more often done by private groups, such as the Southern Poverty Law Center.

You really should try to address this locally. That's where the jurisdiction lies. It's not something a Senate office can really help you with, unless your Senator takes that up as a special cause - and there are so many issues a Senator has to deal with, it wouldn't be crazy or cruel for them not to focus on this one as opposed to something else.

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #4)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:33 PM

6. Thanks

I'm deleting to protect my info. Thank you

Response to backtoblue (Original post)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:29 PM

3. Senators are in a position to help with federal problems and questions

They don't really get involved with state or lower level governmental concerns. That being said, it's a bit haughty of his office to just blow you off like that. At the very least, the staffer could have expressed support for your concern. Constituent service would have included (at least) referring you to someone else could could help you, like your state representative or state senator.

Response to gratuitous (Reply #3)

Wed May 15, 2019, 05:32 PM

5. I agree. The office could have been more sympathetic or even put him/her in touch with someone local