HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Evan Rachel Wood suggests...

Sat May 11, 2019, 08:41 PM

Evan Rachel Wood suggests men get 'mandatory vasectomies' in response to anti-abortion laws

Actress Evan Rachel Wood suggested "mandatory" vasectomies for men until they want to have children on Twitter this week after Georgia passed a bill that would ban abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detectable.

“Mandatory vasectomies until you want to have children,” the “Westworld” actress tweeted on Thursday. “They can be reversed, so. Come on guys, Lets save lives!”

“Whats that?” she continued. “A hard no? Why? Cause its your body and we dont get to make that choice for you? Ooooooohhhhhh!!!”

She later followed up in another tweet clarifying her stance on Friday, saying: “I dont want mandatory vasectomies because I don’t believe we should legislate peoples bodies, its a dangerous slippery slope.”

“I used the example to point out the hypocrisy of always putting the responsibility, punishment, blame, or means of prevention, solely on women,” she added.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/443267-evan-rachel-wood-suggests-men-get-mandatory-vasectomies-in

8 replies, 719 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Evan Rachel Wood suggests men get 'mandatory vasectomies' in response to anti-abortion laws (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin May 11 OP
safeinOhio May 11 #1
Red Mountain May 11 #3
mcar May 11 #2
jimlup May 11 #4
angstlessk May 12 #5
meadowlander May 12 #6
jimlup May 12 #7
sarabelle May 12 #8

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sat May 11, 2019, 08:52 PM

1. Got mine at Planed Parenthood.

Never had kids.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #1)

Sat May 11, 2019, 09:02 PM

3. Got mine there

when I was done having them.

Reply to this post

Sat May 11, 2019, 09:01 PM

2. She is correct

Reply to this post

Sat May 11, 2019, 09:10 PM

4. I think it is a strategic mistake to

start man bashing in response to draconian anti-abortion laws. Better to stay on the point that it the woman's body which I understand is the point of the juxtaposition however, as a man I don't think it really quite works. As a man, I'm already sympathetic to women's rights. Those who are not will not be moved by absurd hyperbole.

I know already. Queue the flaming by angry women... sorry, I feel your pain and relate to your movement but I don't relate to such tactics.

Reply to this post

Response to jimlup (Reply #4)

Sun May 12, 2019, 12:22 AM

5. You, being a man, I can see why.

Reply to this post

Response to jimlup (Reply #4)

Sun May 12, 2019, 12:43 AM

6. How is expecting men to accept their share of the responsibility "man bashing"?

If you accept the premise that abortion is murder, and that the state needs to intervene to stop it, mandatory vasectomies are cheaper, more effective and more humanitarian than throwing women in jail for 20 year sentences for having one.

Speaking of "absurd hyperbole"...

Except mine actually came out in all seriousness from the President of the United States.

Reply to this post

Response to meadowlander (Reply #6)

Sun May 12, 2019, 08:34 AM

7. I never said men shouldn't accept their responsibility

what I said was referring to was the absurd suggestion that all men get vasectomies until legally allowed to have children was an absurd joke and as a man I specially object to it.

I know you think it is my male privilege and all of that that is the stage that I am standing on but it is not. When male bashing occurs I speak up. In my opinion this is male bashing, in appropriate and will not help the cause which, by the way, I support.

Imagine for a moment if you substituted a different sub-group into the joke. Suppose the joke were "All blacks should get vasectomies until legally allowed to have children." How acceptable would that be?

Reverse sexism exists. All men know about it. Few men speak out about it because we know what will happen next. Generally we let it slide because changing the culture appears to us, at least for now, hopeless.

Reply to this post

Sun May 12, 2019, 09:07 AM

8. Question to evangelicals:

How many times is "abortion" mentioned in the Bible and the 10 Commandments? = ?

how many times is "adultery" mentioned in the Bible and the 10 commandments? = ?

Who gets punished for adultery? (Who is stoned to death for adultery?)

I am sick and tired of the white male religious zealots who use their contrived patriarchal mores used to enhance their power and control over women.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread