HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Burger King's Impossible ...

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:51 PM

Burger King's Impossible Whopper tastes even better than the real thing

The Gateway Arch, that soaring stainless-steel rainbow hard by the Mississippi River, stands as a 630-foot monument to an idea that was controversial even in 19th-century America: that this Midwestern city would serve as a starting point to a new life out West, where people could escape the problems of their past.

If all goes according to Burger Kingís master plan, St. Louis could again serve as a gateway to a new life, this one with less beef in the American diet, which in turn could help reduce the many environmental impacts that raising cattle has on our vulnerable planet. The fast-food chain is testing its Impossible Whopper in the greater metro area here, and if the meatless hamburger proves a success in St. Louis, Burger King will roll out the sandwich to all of its 7,200 locations nationwide.

Such an expansion would make mock-meat hamburgers available in almost every corner of the country, far more available than they are now at smaller chains such as Red Robin, White Castle and Carlís Jr. Burger King could give millions of Americans who crave a hamburger the option of purchasing one that, unlike the crumbly vegetarian patties of the past, reportedly looks and tastes much more like beef.

So is the Impossible Whopper any good? Answering this question was my mission in St. Louis, a city (perhaps) selected as a test market precisely because itís not located on the East or West coasts, where a large segment of the population is already attuned to the environmental and animal welfare issues animating meat alternatives like the Impossible Burger. That was Adam Kregerís theory, at least. Heís a student at the School of Law at Washington University in St. Louis, where heís studying animal rights. He was, like me, waiting on an Impossible Whopper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2019/04/15/burger-kings-impossible-whopper-tastes-even-better-than-the-real-thing/

23 replies, 1769 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Burger King's Impossible Whopper tastes even better than the real thing (Original post)
Zorro Apr 2019 OP
WhiskeyWulf Apr 2019 #1
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2019 #2
chowder66 Apr 2019 #3
Codeine Apr 2019 #4
chowder66 Apr 2019 #6
Demovictory9 Apr 2019 #8
mitch96 Apr 2019 #20
Demovictory9 Apr 2019 #21
athena Apr 2019 #10
Codeine Apr 2019 #12
Demovictory9 Apr 2019 #22
renate Apr 2019 #15
ProudLib72 Apr 2019 #11
Codeine Apr 2019 #13
flvegan Apr 2019 #16
Mr. Ected Apr 2019 #14
Kablooie Apr 2019 #5
athena Apr 2019 #9
MLAA Apr 2019 #18
Demovictory9 Apr 2019 #7
MLAA Apr 2019 #17
Clash City Rocker Apr 2019 #19
Raine Apr 2019 #23

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:56 PM

1. That's awesome.

I hope I get a chance to try one!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:00 PM

2. I had a Beyond Burger at home a couple months ago and was shocked at how meaty it felt and

tasted -- and I love beef. Grilling would have made it even better. I'm interested in these new products coming out and would definitely try lab-grown meat as well.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:32 PM

3. I haven't tried the impossible burger yet but I am starting to prefer the beyond meat burger over

regular beef burgers.
At first it was a little odd, it hit my nose in a weird way which translated to my tastebuds so I wasn't a fan out of the gate but after finishing it I found myself really wanting to try it again. Now I prefer it and just had one for dinner. It crisps up so you have crunchy edges and it's great with any fixin's.
I put a few shakes of worcestershire sauce on it and a few grinds of fresh black pepper then pile loads of veggies on them.

I'll probably try the 'impossible' very soon. They have them at a few places just up the street from me.

I'm originally from Kansas City, MO.
The beef burgers back home were divine compared to Los Angeles and I've never had a burger here that compares.

Reply to this post

Response to chowder66 (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:41 PM

4. I enjoy the Beyond Burgers quite a lot,

but the smell is definitely an odd thing, and Iíve occasionally made alternate dinner choices because I find Iím not in the mood for that odor.

My favorite veg patty is the Trader Joeís Vegetable Masala Burgers; no attempt made to be meaty, just tasty Indian-style potatoes and veggies in a delicious patty.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:45 PM

6. I'll have to try those. I was there a week ago and noticed that they were nearly sold out.

I've gotten over the smell. It may be the Worcestershire sauce and fresh black pepper.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:48 PM

8. Dr. Prager's burgers are good also. and low in sodium

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #8)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:59 PM

20. Yup, the Impos Burger has quite a bit of salt

500 mg if I recall. I tried it at two different places. They are better if they are cooked thru but still juicy. I hope the price comes down along with the sodium. It's hard though. Salt, fat and sugar. Lower one or two and the third one goes up.. I like my veggies. They keep me off the pills and injections.. uff
m

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #20)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:28 AM

21. yes. a LOT OF SALT. and lots of coconut oil to give the illusion of the fat oozing out while cooki

cooking

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:51 PM

10. I like Gardein's meatless burger

as well as their fishless sticks and crabless cakes.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #10)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:58 PM

12. I have the Gardein burgers in the freezer

but I havenít tried them yet. The fish sticks are excellent even though I never liked fish in my omnivore days.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #12)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 12:29 AM

22. the fake shrimp is awesome despite the fact that I hated real shrimp in my omnivore days

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #10)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:06 PM

15. I wish I could find their crabless cakes

Their faux fish is SUPER good! Itís wonderful to be able to have fish and chips that taste like the real thing! I had my doubts about how the texture could be replicated, but I strongly recommend it.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:51 PM

11. Really? I guess I haven't noticed the smell. Do you mean when they are raw?

I've only cooked them once, but I've had them at restaurants many times. Maybe the odors of the condiments or fries overpowered the patty?

Damnit, Codeine, you know I'm going to be super conscious of the smell the next time I order one!

Reply to this post

Response to ProudLib72 (Reply #11)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:59 PM

13. I think I'm just really uptight about the smell of things.

Itís probably all in my mind.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #13)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:09 PM

16. I don't think it is.

I find that when I'm defrosting one, the smell is off-setting. But once cooking and then on the plate? Oh, so good.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:04 PM

14. Codeine

My vegetarian sons are cooking their Beyond Burgers in the kitchen, and I've retreated to my bedroom to escape the smell. Used to love them myself, there's a complete disconnect between their smell and their taste.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:43 PM

5. I've had an Impossible burger at Fat Burger. It wasn't bad.

A little dryer than the regular burger but still pretty good.
Fat Burger uses fresh beef, not frozen so it didn't quite match it.
But the big problem was the price.
It was $4.00 more expensive than the regular burger, nearly double the price.

Not worth the extra cost but if it's only $1 more I'd go for it.

Reply to this post

Response to Kablooie (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:48 PM

9. It's way better for your health and cruelty-free.

I would say that makes it well worth the extra cost.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #9)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:33 PM

18. For sure....and kinder to the environment

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 10:47 PM

7. kick

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:32 PM

17. Wonderful! I will go there

A week ago I went to Carlís Jr. because I saw they had the Beyond Burger and I wanted to support them. It was terrific, very charbroiled flavor. I like both the Impossible and the Beyond Burger.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:39 PM

19. I've found Impossible Burgers to be shockingly good

Because Iím not a vegetarian - I compare them to real meat, and they match up quite well. Iíve had my doubts about the Impossible Whopper, because it will have to be much more mass-produced, but I can believe that it will taste better than the Whopper, because Burger King burgers donít taste like meat anyhow.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 03:12 AM

23. Glad to hear this

Thanks for posting it!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread