HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Lafayette, We Are Here!"

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 06:16 PM

"Lafayette, We Are Here!"

...is what the doughboys of WWI were reported to have said when they disembarked in France. It was a reference to America's great debt to France during the War of Independence- in every way, through funding, naval assistance, arms supplies, and even the in-person experienced military leadership of the Marquis de Lafayette, France supported the American War of Independence.

Without their assistance, the Revolution could have failed at multiple points.

Sure, they may have been just doing it to stick a strategic thumb in King George's eye. But the point was, they were there for us.

The ties are deep, and heartfelt.

Pierre L'Enfant helped lay out the fledgling Republic's new Capital City of Washington, D.C.

France commemorated the centennial of our independence with the gift of Bartholdi's "Liberty Enlightening the World", which has become one of the world's great cultural treasures.

Now another of the world's great cultural treasures on the Île de la Cité in Paris is in ashes and ruins.

When they begin the rebuilding process, America must once again take up the cry: "Lafayette, we are here!" and send generous support.

There is as yet no organized effort to pull together a major support of which I'm aware. Please post in the thread below if that's not the case. Hopefully a reputable organization or group will take on the task of gathering and aggregating support, accounting properly for it, and passing on the gift(s) without making it a rake-off opportunity.

When that happens, I plan to give generously.

I visited Notre Dame in 1978. It was one of the more memorable experiences of my young life.

My heart is in Paris tonight.

sadly,
Bright

4 replies, 665 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Lafayette, We Are Here!" (Original post)
TygrBright Apr 15 OP
katmondoo Apr 15 #1
ChazInAz Apr 15 #2
Control-Z Apr 15 #3
bluescribbler Apr 16 #4

Response to TygrBright (Original post)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 06:55 PM

1. I will contibute as soon as a site has been designated

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 07:10 PM

2. As shall I.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 07:37 PM

3. I heard that a fund would be started tomorrow.

I believe Macron made the announcement. I'm sorry I don't have a source to link. I was listening to MSNBC.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 10:52 AM

4. I heard on Morning Joe

A French billionaire, (I forgot his name), has pledged 200 million euros for rebuilding. It may not be enough, but it's a damn good start.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread