HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Tokyo 2020 medals to be m...

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:07 AM

Tokyo 2020 medals to be made from discarded smartphones and laptops

All medals at next summerís Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo will be made from recycled electronic waste, including discarded smartphones, digital cameras and other handheld games and laptops, organizers revealed on Friday.

Officials said they expect to collect enough obsolete electronic devices by the end of March to extract the amount of gold, silver and bronze that will be required to manufacture all the medals that will be awarded next year.

The organizing committee said municipal authorities had already collected 47,488 tons of junked devices by November, roughly 19 months after the project was launched with targets of 30.3kg of gold, 4,100kg of silver and 2,700kg of bronze.

snip

The concept has been implemented in previous Olympics, most recently at Rio 2016, where an estimated 30% of the silver and bronze medals were wrought from recycled materials. But organizers noted the current project will mark the first time citizens have been proactively involved with the donation of consumer electronics.

link
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/08/olympics-medals-recycled-gadgets-electronic-waste

1 replies, 352 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tokyo 2020 medals to be made from discarded smartphones and laptops (Original post)
rpannier Apr 15 OP
Raine Apr 15 #1

Response to rpannier (Original post)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 02:51 AM

1. Very good

lt would make me feel really good knowing a medal an athlete recieved came from an item I recycled.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread