HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Found on Facebook: "Watc...

Mon Apr 8, 2019, 11:50 PM

Found on Facebook: "Watch how a republic dies"

"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.

"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.

"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.

"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.

Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."

- Charles Pierce

-Posted by a friend, reposted by permission.

25 replies, 4510 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply Found on Facebook: "Watch how a republic dies" (Original post)
Stonepounder Apr 8 OP
secondwind Apr 8 #1
roamer65 Apr 8 #2
jg10003 Apr 9 #6
roamer65 Apr 9 #7
llmart Apr 9 #11
bif Apr 9 #13
Bernardo de La Paz Apr 9 #19
Haggis for Breakfast Apr 9 #22
Ilsa Apr 9 #15
cannabis_flower Apr 9 #23
Eko Apr 9 #3
PatrickforO Apr 9 #4
not fooled Apr 9 #5
Hermit-The-Prog Apr 9 #8
DLevine Apr 9 #9
Delphinus Apr 9 #10
llmart Apr 9 #12
Martin Eden Apr 9 #14
FiveGoodMen Apr 9 #16
cannabis_flower Apr 9 #24
Whiskeytide Monday #25
Poiuyt Apr 9 #17
Blue_Tires Apr 9 #18
SergeStorms Apr 9 #20
Lonestarblue Apr 9 #21

Response to Stonepounder (Original post)

Mon Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 PM

1. WOW 😲

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 PM

2. Watch how the North American continent balkanizes.

In 10 years, many of us will be flying different flags on our lawn flagpoles.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 01:07 AM

6. I have been predicting this for years

Reply to this post

Response to jg10003 (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 01:11 AM

7. New England and NY will join the Canadian confederation.

Michigan would soon follow suit.

Being a province in the Canadian confederation would remove much of the straight jacket that these states now have under the US republic.

Canadian provinces can run deficits, for example.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 07:56 AM

11. I'm in Michigan.

I'd be absolutely fine with becoming a Canadian.

Reply to this post

Response to llmart (Reply #11)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 08:09 AM

13. I'd love it!

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 06:46 PM

19. Some variations on that

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #19)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 10:23 PM

22. What have you got against Alberta ?

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 01:53 PM

15. You might as well rename New Christendom.

It'll be "Trumpland" based on these flags I've seen here in the south:

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 11:38 PM

23. There is no way that....

Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio will be part of New Christendom. They will be islands in New Christendom. Sort of like the Republic of South Florida.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 12:04 AM

3. K&R a thousand times.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 12:31 AM

4. My problem is that I don't want the republic to die.

This isn't a perfect country any more than the presidents Pierce mentions were perfect.

We have a long way to go in so many way.

But under Trump we are so going the wrong direction. He is an evil man, evil on so many levels.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 01:01 AM

5. 666kook brothers666 and the rest of the oligarchy

are responsible for this. They set in motion the forces to destroy our government and civic discourse for their private benefit.

Reply to this post

Response to not fooled (Reply #5)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 03:08 AM

8. yes, trumputin is just their most destructive tool so far

The Republicans have fed and nurtured a class of greedy sociopaths for decades. That oligarchy has no loyalty to our Constitution and cares for the general population only so far as it can be exploited for their gain -- in power or possessions.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:24 AM

9. K&R. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 07:18 AM

10. Amazing!

I've read some things by him but had not seen this. Thank you for sharing.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 07:58 AM

12. This is one of the best things he's written.

I hadn't seen it. Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 01:46 PM

14. Very well said, with one quibble

GW Bush inflicted more harm than Trump has, so far. He belongs in prison for war crimes.

But I understand the target here is Trump, not Bush. Ranting about the war based on lies would have detracted from that.

Personally, I will never forget nor forgive. The normalization of GW Bush as a respected former president is worse than nails on a blackboard for me.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 03:01 PM

16. All the good people in the country were busy worrying about being nice to the bad ones

When they should have been concerned with protecting the disadvantaged ones.

We picked our side and it was "the kids whose mothers are proud of their manners."

Reply to this post

Response to FiveGoodMen (Reply #16)

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 11:47 PM

24. They got a big hurt when Hillary called some of his supporters "deplorables"

Well, some of the are deplorables. I've always said that there are several types of Trump voters. There were stupid people. There were Hillary haters. There are those that voted for him because he was a businessman or because he was an outsider who said he was going to clean up the swamp. I'm sure there were even people who genuinely believed that he would be a better president than Hillary.

And then there were the "deplorables". People who are racists and like that Donald Trump "tells it like it is". He allowed them to be proud to be racists. The media could have done a better job of acknowledging that some of Donald Trump's supporters were deplorable.

Reply to this post

Response to cannabis_flower (Reply #24)

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 03:08 PM

25. Only two kinds of trump voters ...

... stupid people and assholes. You can place any of the people you describe in to one or the other.

If you voted for trump because it benefited you financially, you’re an asshole for sacrificing the democracy and the welfare of other Americans for a few shekels.

If you voted for him to inflict pain on minorities and immigrants, you’re clearly an asshole.

If you voted for him because you thought he brought new or good ideas to the job as a businessman, outsider or swamp detergent, you’re too stupid to vote, and probably need to wear a helmet.

The thing about trump is that he never pretended to be anything other than what he is - a raging, bullying, narcissistic, racist, lawless, grifting, predatory, fascist, man baby bent on destroying our democracy, undermining the rule of law and reshaping the foundations of our country to plunder the treasury and neuter the regulatory functions of the government. HE OPENLY RAN ON THAT PLATFORM!

His voters either wanted that, or they were too stupid to see what was plainly in front of them. There’s really no in between.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:15 PM

17. He likes Trump more than I do

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 04:21 PM

18. Don't look at me, I spent all of 2015-16 trying to warn folks

But Hillary had an e-mail something or other, I'm told...

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 06:50 PM

20. ..."occupying an office that we gave him"...

No. He occupies an office which the Russians gave him. "WE" didn't give him jack shit!

I keep trying to hammer this home, that he is - and will always remain - an illegitimate President of the United States. He won nothing by himself.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2019, 08:04 PM

21. Damn! I'd have to move.

I refuse to be left behind in a place called New Christendom or Jesusland!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread