HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Panama Papers investigati...

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 09:11 AM

Panama Papers investigation helps recover more than $1.2 billion around the world

BY DOUGLAS DALBY AND AMY WILSON-CHAPMAN
APRIL 03, 2019 07:35 AM

First-time gains in Panama, France and Iceland have pushed above $1.16 billion the global tally of fines and back taxes resulting from the Panama Papers investigation’s exposure of the offshore finance industry.

On the third anniversary of the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists-led investigation, which included the Miami Herald and McClatchy’s Washington Bureau, the fallout from it is gathering pace through hundreds of separate investigations into undisclosed wealth across scores of nations.

Since June 2018, the United Kingdom alone has added $119 million, to bring its total to more than $252 million; Australia has collected another $43 million to eclipse $92 million; and Belgium has added an extra $6.5 million to its government coffers to surpass $18 million. French tax authorities have confirmed nearly $136 million has now been recovered — and that figure is expected to rise. They have carried out more than 500 inspections since April 2016.

Canada’s Revenue Agency, which also raided two properties last week in connection to the investigation, has revealed it had recouped nearly $6.8 million in federal taxes and fines from 66 audits. The agency said it planned to audit about 234 more taxpayers linked to the probe. Fewer than 10 criminal investigations are ongoing.

more
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/article228762754.html

5 replies, 219 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Panama Papers investigation helps recover more than $1.2 billion around the world (Original post)
DonViejo Apr 3 OP
SWBTATTReg Apr 3 #1
Hotler Apr 3 #2
Blue_Tires Apr 3 #3
FakeNoose Apr 3 #4
kentuck Apr 3 #5

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 09:23 AM

1. Wonder what the US totals in recovered tax revenue is? NT

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 09:52 AM

2. Interesting that the United States is not on the list...

of recovered monies.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

3. Just your daily reminder that

Intrepid transparency activists like Ed Snowden, Glenn Greenwald and Julian Assange pimped the hell out of the initial rollout of the Panama Papers, swearing up and down that there was some Hillary money laundering scheme waiting to be uncovered... And when no Hillary smoking gun was found (even worse, the biggest political name connected to money laundering was of course Putin, all three men worked incessantly to downplay and discredit the Papers...

(Yes, I keep receipts on everything... I'd said a long time ago that I was going to get Greenwald if it took the rest of my natural life, and I meant it)

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 10:05 AM

4. Yep Greenwald is scum

... he may not be a murderer himself, but he conspires with known killers.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 AM

5. Worldwide corporate corruption?

Criminal in every way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread