HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How Vikings conversion to...

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 01:06 AM

How Vikings conversion to Christianity eventually led to their downfall in Greenland.

Last edited Wed Apr 3, 2019, 01:49 AM - Edit history (1)

Yesterday I posted this: https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211978299 (Why the Vikings converted to Christianity)

I watched another documentary on amazon, The Vikings, about their stay in Greenland.

If you donít know, they converted to Christianity, lived well in a milder climate, farmed, raised domestic animals, but they also overgrazed, leading to something like the dust bowl.

The Tula Inuit came down from the Arctic in the 12 & 13 centuries, after them.

A comparison of excavations show that the Europeans wore things like 15 century woolen clothing while the Inuit wore furs and hides, right in the middle of a mini ice age. And the Inuit were hunter gatherers while the Vikings stuck to what they knew.

In Iceland, their compatriots were eating mostly mostly fish, whale, and birds, but they stuck with farming. Why?

Well, as it turns out, according to this documentary, the church was very powerful in Greenland and kept the Vikings from associating and learning from their neighbors on how to live in the extreme environment because they were pagans.

That is true irony. I typed last night on the reasons Vikings converted from paganism to Christianity.

Now Iím arguing how doing so led to their demise in Greenland. Had they been the same open minded people as they had been back around 1000, they probably would have survived. But they were all gone around 1500.

The church held the hunting rights, so the people had to get permission to hunt. The church collected tithes from farms, and imposed an export tax. What chance did they have of survival?

5 replies, 670 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Vikings conversion to Christianity eventually led to their downfall in Greenland. (Original post)
rusty quoin Apr 2019 OP
Hekate Apr 2019 #1
abqtommy Apr 2019 #2
rusty quoin Apr 2019 #3
Celerity Apr 2019 #4
Mc Mike Apr 2019 #5

Response to rusty quoin (Original post)

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 01:12 AM

1. Amazing. When humans forget how to adapt... However, Iceland prospered.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 02:57 AM

2. The word "pagan"

and its derivatives is used by the self-righteous to slur the religious beliefs of groups of "others".
I think it's dishonest/non-productive to attack any belief system using this language.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 03:06 AM

3. I think it's a common word used to define non judo-Christian religions.

It is not believed by me to be lesser a belief, but just the the accepted term. They were called pagans in the day and through history.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 05:33 AM

4. good article that contains current, revisionist research on this subject

Why Did Greenlandís Vikings Vanish?
Newly discovered evidence is upending our understanding of how early settlers made a life on the island ó and why they suddenly disappeared

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-greenland-vikings-vanished-180962119/

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 3, 2019, 08:11 AM

5. Are there records of tithes collected from Greenland in the 1300s and 1400s?

The vatican archives extend back to the 500s, at minimum.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread