HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » QUESTION: How long were t...

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:28 AM

QUESTION: How long were the Nixon Tapes a news issue during the 70s?

Looks like if kept in the news the Full Mueller report can be today's Nixon Tapes ?

The more Red Don et al stall on getting the report out to the public the more I'm thinking Barr "embellished" some things about the Mueller report.

Thx in advance

15 replies, 472 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to uponit7771 (Original post)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:30 AM

1. I was a kid

But I recall it was many months.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SHRED (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:43 AM

5. Cool thx !!

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:35 AM

2. A long time

I was young but the fight to release them took months. Nixon even tried to quell the damage by releasing transcripts of the tapes. All the cursing introduced the term "expletive deleted" into the vernacular.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:40 AM

3. The quest for the missing 18 minutes lasted a long time. Lots of speculation about that.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:40 AM

4. Recommended.

Alexander Butterfield testified about the tapes on July 16, 1973. It came as a surprise to many. However, Buterfield had told a Senate staff member (Don Sander) about them three days earlier, as he was preparing for his public testimony.

Nixon resigned on August 9, 1974.

Good question. Thanks for asking.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:44 AM

6. Yes, it was news for a long time. Most important there was a 18 minute gap in the tapes.

So the tapes eventually were discovered and released to the committee investigating Watergate. When played, the tapes had a 18 minute gap, somehow the tapes had been erased. It is speculated that Nixon erased the tapes himself because the tapes contained damaging evidence against Nixon
...Nothing was ever proven, but as we know, Nixon eventually resigned in August of 1974. The key for me, was not the erased tapes, but the fact that Nixon resigned. If I recall, Nixon said a few weeks earlier, that he would not resign, but he did. Nixon resigned August 9, 1974.

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #6)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:47 AM

7. +1, thx ... it looks like Nixon's AR from Gallup with in the mid 20s during that whole time ...

... which would be hard today seeing FAUX News keeps the republican party in a 10 - 15% float.

How was the economy at that time?

Thx in advance

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #7)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 11:53 AM

8. His approval rating when he resigned was I think 23 percent

The economy was OK if I recall. What I have looked at in studying this is the approval rating when he resigned. It was very low. When I view the future of Trump, I think his rating will get that low even with FAUX NEWS. WHY?..
...No matter what is in the news, or said by Trump and his gang, it is not over. There will be more. Why? Very Simple. Trump is a crook. SDNY will get him. I hope we will all see Trump resigning just like Nixon resigned.

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

9. +1, the case of insurance and bank fraud look to be a good case for prosecution

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:03 PM

10. We knew about the taping system since the summer '73.

The House subpoenaed a number of them in April '74 (wheels of justice grind slowly). Nixon released (edited) transcripts; House committee refused them, said they were not sufficient. Case was appealed to the Supremes, which ruled 8-0 in July that the actual tapes had to be turned over. That happened at the end of July. The "smoking gun" tape (6 days after the break-in Nixon discussing cover-up / asking CIA to derail FBI investigation) was made public Aug 5 '74. Nixon announced his resignation 3 days later.

Reply to this post

Response to shanny (Reply #10)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:05 PM

11. So it took a while, I'm thinking the Mueller Report is Nixon Tapes 2.0 ... looks like Moscow Mitch

... wants to block the report from going out

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #11)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:07 PM

12. I think that report--in its entirety, not the skewed cliff notes version--

will be devastating to rump and the minions. They will fight like hell to keep it under wraps.

Reply to this post

Response to shanny (Reply #12)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:18 PM

13. +1, the more they're silent on getting the full report out in a week or two the more things look lik

... like we're dealing with a Russian agent.

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #13)

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:35 PM

15. I really, really doubt that either rump or any minions

qualify for the status of "agents". "Assets" yes, unwitting, half-witted, amoral assets...it takes brains to be an agent. He has / they have no loyalty to the country (ours or anyone's, actually), they only care about money, and power that makes them money. Compromising him (them) was child's play, especially since he / they can't even grok the conflicts of interest. For McConnell it is more about power here, and serving his masters.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 26, 2019, 12:19 PM

14. The difference is that Nixon was still under full investigation and the tapes were integral to that

With Trump, the public has heard that the Mueller investigation is over and the report exonerated him (yes, I know it didn't, but that's what people are hearing). Something earth-shattering will have to come out from all the other investigations to affect Trump's public perception.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread