HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » When "I" don't like what ...

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:34 PM

When "I" don't like what the media is telling "me", I simply change the channel.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the General Discussion forum).

Bitching about the media and them not having what "I" want is not productive of "my" anger. I didn't know that they were here for "me". It is supposed to be here for "me"? Am I wrong? If I like the lowest tier candidate, is it my fault or their fault for not showing what "I" want? If they aren't showing something that happened TWO seconds ago, should we hang them? "I" want to see it now. "I" don't care if it hasn't been verified, "I" want it now.

This endless bitching is getting old and not productive at all. End of rant.

16 replies, 1473 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to GemDigger (Original post)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:43 PM

1. ditto

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:45 PM

2. I agree. My favorites are the ones bitching about Mika and Joe. Seems to always be one of those.

Sometimes several threads about them. I finally decided people watch just so they have something to be angry about.

Response to Tipperary (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:53 PM

4. If they need a reason then they should watch fox. nt

Response to Tipperary (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:04 PM

7. It is easy to become addicted

to anger and outrage. I've caught myself doing it, though I try to shift gears when it happens. It is this addiction that Fox News and right-wing radio use to hold their audience. Many end up living in a perpetual state of anger and hate, ruining their lives and the lives of those around them.

In the past, I've bitched about Mika and Joe a fair amount. I just quit watching them.

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:50 PM

3. And.. it's what everyone should do. It does effect their ratings. Hit them where it hurts, tune out

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #3)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:55 PM

5. That's exactly what and why I do just that.

If they have someone on that I think is vile, I change the channel.

Response to GemDigger (Reply #5)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:03 PM

6. You then believe that is the only productive means to achieve the end?

You then believe yours is the only productive means to achieve that end? And that all other potential means are either without merit or simply unworkable?

I think that's adorable. De Beers used to believe that as well.

Response to LanternWaste (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:07 PM

8. If you think that is what I said, OK.

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:18 PM

9. Trump does the same, but to him "changing the channel" means something not involving a TV remote

the vast majority of us humans correctly assume that individually we have little or no control over mass media. if something comes on that we don't like, we engage with something else.

Trump does not make that assumption. he would be incorrect to make it, as he does exert considerable control over mass media -- probably more control than any other aspect of his public life outside of his fast food habit. as such we should expect this sort of whining from his immature ass.

unfortunately that puts the burden of removing his endless unproductive bitching squarely on the recipients' individual choices for media consumption.

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:32 PM

10. I'm with you on this

I get irked whenever someone hears anything remotely critical or questioning of a Democrat on CNN or MSNBC and the immediate response is that these networks have become biased toward the right. Come on. Not everything they report is going to be a "take down" of the Republicans and glowing about the left.

Response to True Dough (Reply #10)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:39 PM

11. I want and need to know what the R's think. I also want to know what all thoughts of the D's are.

You can't deal with it unless you know what "it" is. Like it or not. If we D's have a skunk, I expect the media to call out the skunk. I don't want that stink to haunt me for the rest of my life and that is the torment I would impose upon myself for closing my eyes and voting for a skunk.

Response to GemDigger (Reply #11)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:02 PM

13. How refreshingly objective of you!

No sarcasm tag here. Seriously!

I don't bump into this perspective here very often, at least not explicitly expressed. To think that the Dems are infallible in rather absurd, but you can't speak ill about members of the party here, for the most part. Of course we wouldn't want it to get out of hand because the trolls would take over, but when the news (and I don't mean Fox) implores us to pause and look at the words or actions of a particular individual, we should do so. We're within our rights to dismiss the report, and some of us may disagree on the validity of the reporting. That's fair. But I don't want the media to become entirely one-sided. If The Guardian, PBS, NPR, American Press, CNN or MSNBC decide it's worth issuing a report, then it's worth my time to assess it.

Response to True Dough (Reply #13)

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:38 PM

14. If all media is one sided then we are doomed as a society because the division will only get worse.

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:46 PM

12. i take a break during the day and switch to PLUTO tv or find a Western on TV..

..i turn msm back on again for TRMS. I check DU throughout the day to look for Breaking News!

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:56 PM

15. My wife and I quit television many years ago.

The political and pharmaceutical advertising are as pernicious as the "news" and opinion. It doesn't matter which channel you watch. Even PBS has advertising now.

Television is a useless medium for news and opinion. The most primitive parts of the human brain can't distinguish between television and reality. That's why it's such an insidious tool for propaganda of all kinds.

There are no channels on our television. It plays DVDs and Netflix. That's all it does.

We used to have Comcast. One day I began to wonder why I was paying someone to deliver crap to my house that I didn't want. I built an antenna for broadcast television and we could get all the major networks and many other stations, but that got old quickly.

Once you've quit "traditional" television you don't go back. I can't watch anymore, it has become intolerable noise.

Mon Mar 18, 2019, 03:30 PM

16. After a review by forum hosts...locking.

Please repost in the Media Group: https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1174

Statement of Purpose

Discuss all issues related to the media, especially the news media and how they are failing to do their job.