HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mizzou's Nobel winner giv...

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 08:47 PM

Mizzou's Nobel winner gives away his $250,000 prize to students

University of Missouri’s newly minted Nobel Prize winner has decided what to do with his nearly $250,000 in prize money: He’s giving it away.

George P. Smith, a biology professor emeritus known on campus as a kind and modest genius, said Tuesday he is donating it all to launch the Missouri Nobel Scholarship Fund for students in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“This might surprise some people, but my first degree was actually a bachelor of arts, not a bachelor of science,” Smith said at a community event in Columbia with his wife, Margie. “My liberal arts education was the springboard for a lifetime of learning and cultural engagement. Margie and I hope that supporting the liberal arts as a whole will enrich the lives of future Mizzou students, whatever careers they choose.”

The announcement marked the start of Wednesday’s annual Mizzou Giving Day, designed to encourage support for the university.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article227547494.html

Thought this to be a positive story about academia in these days of scandal that was worth passing along.

2 replies, 298 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mizzou's Nobel winner gives away his $250,000 prize to students (Original post)
Sherman A1 Wednesday OP
TlalocW Wednesday #1
Guy Whitey Corngood Wednesday #2

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 09:49 PM

1. Well, personally, I hope

He at least goes out a few times to some expensive restaurants then donates it.

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 09:49 PM

2. K&R!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread