HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump and the collapsing ...

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 02:58 PM

Trump and the collapsing Republican Party are triggering a massive political immune system

I posted this elsewhere on DU as a comment and one of DU's members suggested I make it an OP:

The Republicans have been deeply weakened since the midterms. We're in a collective state of "hold your breath" until 2020. Then the building resistance will explode. Dozens of Republican Senators are likely to step down due to a lousy choice between losing the next election or winning, but having no power with a Democratic House.

😀 There are bio-electronic analogies for what Trump is doing to the nation

We may have a hierarchical democratic system, but in addition to the checks and balances built into that very system, we also have the DNA of that democracy built into most of the citizens and spread throughout courts, laws and non-profit foundations. Obviously 30% of the citizens, Trump's base, never got the lesson in school (or they did but being in his cult induced a short circuit). But the DNA is now activated in the other 70% and a genuine resistance has flared up like antibodies in the immune system.

Another analogy: when a tree is bent to the breaking point by a strong wind, the cells regrow stronger than ever. It can then withstand even greater threats. Nixon strengthened America in many ways, giving rise to progressive legislation and a narrative about dysfunctional presidencies. The Great Depression produced the New Deal.

With both Nixon and the first New Deal in our institutional wisdom, Trump may easily induce a Green New Deal. I'm not gonna wait around for that to happen though. My immune system is already triggered and I put a handmade sign on my car that stretches across the entire bumper:

A Green Regenerative America
G R E E N N E W D E A L
Supercharge Solar Economy for All!

6 replies, 862 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump and the collapsing Republican Party are triggering a massive political immune system (Original post)
DemocracyMouse Wednesday OP
bobbieinok Wednesday #1
Kitchari Wednesday #2
roamer65 Wednesday #3
Wellstone ruled Wednesday #4
spanone Wednesday #5
DemocracyMouse Wednesday #6

Response to DemocracyMouse (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 03:03 PM

1. Interesting concept! Sure hope it's true!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to DemocracyMouse (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 03:13 PM

2. Great analogy

May we work together to make it come true!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to DemocracyMouse (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 03:15 PM

3. 1932 redux.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to roamer65 (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 04:05 PM

4. Appears we are seeing this happen once again.

Mentioned this about a year ago of the probability of this happening. Ryan's Budget in 2017 as well as the gutting of Banking Regs.

Repeat of Smoot -Hawley was put in place by the GOP and now they own it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to DemocracyMouse (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 04:10 PM

5. Let's hope so!

K&R...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to spanone (Reply #5)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 06:00 PM

6. Resistance is everywhere... and immigrants have a greater potential to trigger the DNA of democracy

precisely because, as immigrants, they become more conscious of how the system works by necessity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread