HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ringleader pleads guilty ...

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 07:39 PM

Ringleader pleads guilty in $25 million nationwide college admissions cheating scam

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and a slew of chief executives are among 50 wealthy people charged in the largest college cheating scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice, federal officials said Tuesday.

Those indicted in the investigation, dubbed "Operation Varsity Blues," allegedly paid bribes of up to $6.5 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth combined with fraud," Andrew Lelling, the U.S. attorney for the District of Massachusetts, said at a news conference.

"There can be no separate college admissions system for the wealthy and, I'll add, there will not be a separate criminal justice system either," Lelling said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ringleader-pleads-guilty-in-dollar25-million-nationwide-college-admissions-cheating-scam/ar-BBUG4WY?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe if they weren't taxed so much they wouldn't cheat - Donald J Trump

4 replies, 520 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ringleader pleads guilty in $25 million nationwide college admissions cheating scam (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Mar 12 OP
sheshe2 Mar 12 #1
Sherman A1 Mar 12 #2
2naSalit Mar 12 #3
RKP5637 Mar 12 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 07:43 PM

1. Hell yes, THIS!

"There can be no separate college admissions system for the wealthy and, I'll add, there will not be a separate criminal justice system either," Lelling said.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 07:48 PM

2. Sounds good, but I won't hold my breath

waiting for any of the accused to do time.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 07:55 PM

3. +1

They won't even say their names on the news reports. That is telling, very telling.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 09:37 PM

4. I hope they get the book thrown at them, but often, they just slither by. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread