HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » In a global economy, is D...

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 07:55 AM

In a global economy, is Daylight Saving Time necessary?

The twice-a-year change from Standard Time to Daylight Saving Time is a huge distraction that causes confusion, tardiness and lost sleep. Its energy-savings (the original reason for its implementation) are ephemeral or non-existent. And it puts the U.S. at odds not only with the rest of the world but also with a couple of our own states who don't recognize the clock-shifting.

How about this idea? The whole world converts to Universal Time and everyone sets their clocks to Greenwich Mean Time. Additionally, the world adopts the 24-hour clock thereby putting everyone on the same clock. Not only would we get rid of the AM/PM confusion, with this adjustment, it would be 15:30 everywhere on Earth at the same time. International trade and diplomacy would be standardized in time. No one would have to calculate what time it was in another time zone.

Who says you have to work from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm? You would still go to work in your local morning but you would simply call your work time something different, say, 06:00 to 14:00. Does that really make any difference?

This kind of standardization would take a bit to get used to but it would simplify everyone's life. Most importantly, I wouldn't lose that hour of sleep I just got ripped-off of.

It'll never happen at least until we become a solar system-based society.

14 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to PJMcK (Original post)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 07:58 AM

1. Works for me.

Anything but this jerking people around twice a year.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 07:59 AM

2. I am happy to be retired and not having to deal with the work issues

I can tell you the exact spot on the interstate where time changed each spring as I was driving to work for my 4am start time and it just sucked.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 10:13 AM

9. +1 Early am starts my whole life

Start times began at 12:15 am. I was all over the interstates in the early am when people are supposed to be sleeping.

Retirement is good. I just wish I could sleep better now that I have the time. lol

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 08:07 AM

3. The natural behaviour of humans is to get up earlier in the summer

especially in temperate latitudes, following both the light and heat triggers our bodies pay attention to. Since we became an industrialised society, with timetables for school and work starting times, and public transport, daylight saving time has enabled us to have one timetable for the year, while following, somewhat, our natural rhythms (close to the equator, there's not so much difference in sunrise time, so daylight savings makes less sense there).

I'm sorry that you're one of the people who has to follow a timetable on this Sunday morning so that you feel you have 'lost' an hour of sleep. But you will gain an hour of being awake later in the year.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #3)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 08:20 AM

4. Three points to consider

First, the hour "gained" is too far away in time for the human body to recognize it. By the time we change the clocks back to Standard Time, we've already adjusted to the one-hour change. So, twice a year, people have to make an adjustment in their Circadian cycles.

Second, as I wrote, you would still follow the daylight in your local "time zone," it's just that you would call the time by a different name. Some people would go to work at 02:00 while other would do so at 13:00. If it's morning, it's time to go to work. Fairly simple, really.

Lastly, it's a big waste of time and confusion to have to reset all of our clocks and schedules.

By the way, I work on Sundays so the clock-changing really does affect people like me. I've got to be at a class at 9:00 am EDT, (see how much trouble that is?). Years ago, a church that I attended had hired a new minister. His first Sunday on the job fell on the day in March when the clocks changed. He was late for his first service! Not a good start but he stayed at that church for about 20 years.

In any event, it's really just an idle thought.

Reply to this post

Response to PJMcK (Reply #4)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 10:52 AM

12. Some counterpoints.

Your first point is irrelevant. It's not the one-hour difference twice a year that matters, its how we're oriented towards the solar day that matters. You'd keep the times unchanged but say "work today starts at 9, not 8." Meaning that everybody's schedules still get shifted--the only thing you've altered is the need to change clocks. They'd get shifted probably an hour forward in the spring and an hour back in the fall.

Meanwhile, every time you went to a new area (say, for business or pleasure) instead of saying, "Oh, work here starts at 8 just like everywhere else" you'd have to say, "When's work here? Damn, I thought the business day started at 4 a.m. and it started at 3 a.m. Can't we have consistent times?"

Since most things that keep time adjust automatically with a bit of ROM-based code, for the confusion of changing clocks, just, um, meh.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #3)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 12:30 PM

14. It's not just "feel{ing}" as if you lost an hours of sleep

The sleep deprivation is real, as are the consequences.

There was a significant increase in accidents for the Monday immediately following the spring shift to DST (t=1.92, P=0.034). There was also a significant increase in number of accidents on the Sunday of the fall shift from DST (P<0.002).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152980

There was no difference in the total weekly number of PCIs performed for AMI for either the fall or spring time changes in the time period analysed.
After adjustment for trend and seasonal effects, the Monday following spring time changes was associated with a 24% increase in daily AMI counts (p=0.011), and the Tuesday following fall changes was conversely associated with a 21% reduction (p=0.044).
No other weekdays in the weeks following DST changes demonstrated significant associations.

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000019

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 08:23 AM

5. We can't use metric in this country because it's communist

The US is incapable of dealing with standards because the people here are too stupid.

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #5)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 08:27 AM

6. "...the people here are too stupid."

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 08:58 AM

7. It's important to track the morning during winter so we don't end up with absurd pre-dawn schedules

Then in summer let it rip with an awesome extra hour of light. It's pretty minor of an adjustment, a bit like staying up late by ..... drumroll.... an hour.

Reply to this post

Response to Blues Heron (Reply #7)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 09:07 AM

8. Agree

I love the long summer evenings. And do you really think that “businesses would adjust their hours” to the sunlight? Right. And having DST all year would mean kids waiting for the school bus in the pitch black in the winter.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 10:15 AM

10. 5 ways life would be better were it always daylight saving time

From EarthSky.org

5 ways life would be better were it always daylight saving time

1. Lives would be saved

2. Crime would decrease

3. Energy would be saved

4. Avoiding clock switches improves sleep

5. Recreation and commerce flourish in the sun

Read the rest:

https://earthsky.org/human-world/how-life-better-always-daylight-saving-time-dst

Reply to this post

Response to DirtEdonE (Reply #10)

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 12:13 PM

13. I agree, there are many advantages to keeping the evenings lighter, longer year round.

I have always thought so, but the article explains it well. Almost everyone is up during the evening hours before the sun sets, but not everyone is up before sunrise, so there would be a greater advantage for more people if we just kept it on DST.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 10:47 AM

11. "No one would have to calculate what time it was in another time zone."

You don't have to now, you can just ask your phone.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread