HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Endeavor (parent co. of H...

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 03:51 PM

Endeavor (parent co. of Hollywood agency WME) Quietly Returns Saudi Arabia's $400 Million Investment

More than five months after the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the fallout is not over for Saudi Arabia, as major corporations and arts institutions continue to distance themselves from the nation or cut ties altogether.

Now, the talent agency Endeavor, the parent company of WME, which is the majority stakeholder of the international Frieze Art Fair, has returned a $400 million from the Saudi state that was intended to power the company’s growth and diversify Saudia Arabia’s cultural economy.

Endeavor, which is led by chief executive Ari Emanuel, spent the past several weeks arranging the return of the money, “effectively severing Endeavor’s relationship with Saudi leaders,” according to the New York Times, which cites two sources close to the transaction. Neither the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, which made the investment, nor Emmanuel have made public comments on the matter. Representatives from the Frieze Art Fair declined to comment.

Endeavor’s move stands in sharp contrast to the cordial relationship it established with Saudia Arabia last spring, when Emanuel helped throw a lavish Hollywood party for Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The event included guests such as Disney chief executive Robert Iger and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, and took place as the Saudi government’s investment fund was finalizing an agreement to make the investment in Endeavor, according to the Times.

more at link

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/endeavor-frieze-saudi-1483939?fbclid=IwAR3SEP1OSXuuBkpO-ptz6LnP5d5klvxLuxjPj_qJR8NtBQoJ8Nb1rxVj7CY

WME and Ari Emanuel did the right thing.
That's not the usual way for agents in this town.
I know, I used to be one.
My only problem with it is they shouldn't be quiet about it.

4 replies, 343 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Endeavor (parent co. of Hollywood agency WME) Quietly Returns Saudi Arabia's $400 Million Investment (Original post)
TeamPooka Mar 8 OP
stuffmatters Mar 8 #1
TeamPooka Mar 8 #2
stuffmatters Mar 9 #3
Cha Mar 9 #4

Response to TeamPooka (Original post)

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 04:59 PM

1. I agree. This is a very BFD esp w/in that particular milieu

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to stuffmatters (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 8, 2019, 08:24 PM

2. An agent doing the right thing in Hollywood? Take me now Lord.

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 9, 2019, 06:49 AM

3. W/ agents I knew at giants WM &ICM in the 70's, definitely can't picture it.

(Tho there were some likeable, normal people at more boutique agencies like Paul Kohner back then.)

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Original post)

Sat Mar 9, 2019, 07:26 AM

4. Wow.. that's a good thing!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread