HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New Mexico counties decla...

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:54 PM

New Mexico counties declare themselves "2nd amendment sanctuaries"

While the New Mexico state legislature works to do what the federal government has failed to do - implement tighter gun control by expanding background check requirements – sheriffs within the state are asking their counties to declare themselves “2nd Amendment Sanctuaries” where only federal gun laws that they deem constitutional would be enforced.

Grant County, home to historic Silver City and portions of two wilderness areas, recently joined about 15 other New Mexico counties in passing such resolutions. At last Thursday’s county commission meeting, two resolutions, brought by Sheriff Frank Gomez (elected as a Democrat) were discussed and voted on.

No. R-19-23 was in support of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and declaring Grant County to be a Second Amendment Sanctuary County.

No. R-19-24 was a resolution opposing legislation that would impose rules, regulations and restrictions exceeding federal law on all private firearm transfers between individuals, and referred to a bill requiring background checks for gun show sales.

Sheriff Gomez also opposes HB 87, which is intended to give law enforcement court-ordered authority to remove firearms from the homes of individuals deemed a potential high risk of violence, and is directed toward people involved in domestic violence and situations involving mental instability. (added edit)

Grant County is overwhelmingly Blue, but because supporters of the resolution had “packed the house”, the crowd was not representative of the majority of residents.

Opening of the news story in the online Grant County Beat by editor Mary Alice Murphy:

“Proud Americans stood, hands on hearts, and proclaimed: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America…" About 1,000 of them stood in the large conference room and in the halls of the Grant County Veterans Memorial Business and Conference Center. The sound filled the room and grew, phrase by phrase in unison, with a crescendo to "with liberty and justice for all."”

[link:?1551369628|

Impressive prose, perhaps even worthy of a Bulwer-Lytton Award. However, other attendees, including this resident of the Mimbres Valley, saw things a little differently:

"I attended the Grant County NM Commission meeting on Feb. 21, 2019 and witnessed the Trump base froth generated by emails from the local Chamber of Commerce CEO, Scott Terry, and NM District 38 Representative, Rebecca Dow (and possibly also the NRA?). It was not only ugly, it was scary. Some in the camo-wearing, mining company orange-vest crowd made 'almost threats' (e.g., "You try to get my gun and I'll come get you!" against the two liberal Commissioners and the 4 liberal speakers."

[link:?1551369628|

Another attendee commented,

“I think it is worth noting that those supporting these anti-background-check Resolutions had organized to completely fill the hall to SRO over an hour before the scheduled meeting leaving another large crowd of would be speakers outside, many of whom would have spoken against them.

It also seems relevant that the comments of these folks over that 4 hours were less about the proposed background checks and more about "Don't take my guns," the right to sell their property to their grandchild, and "creeping regulations," ignoring the facts of the legislative bills with which they did not seem familiar.”

The resolutions were brought to a vote and passed 3-2. Democrats Javier Salas and Chris Ponce voted in favor, along with Republican Billy Billings. Democrats Edwards and Browne voted against.

Granted, they’re resolutions, not laws, but why did our “Democratic” sheriff and “Democratic” majority on the county commission suddenly defy the will of those who elected them?

How many counties in other states are enacting these resolutions?

What is behind these actions by county sheriffs here in New Mexico and in other states? It may well be connected to the philosophy of the Constitutional Sheriffs Association. According to politico.com:

“The strange idea that unites all members of this movement is that a sheriff is the highest law enforcement officer within a county’s borders—superior not only to local police, but also to officers and agents of the federal government.”]

Conspicuous members of this group include former Milwaukee County sheriff David Clarke and Joe Arpaio, convicted of violating a federal court order and pardoned by trump.

But the question remains: Why would law enforcement officers want fewer restrictions on the possession of guns that might end up pointed at THEM?

21 replies, 2064 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Mexico counties declare themselves "2nd amendment sanctuaries" (Original post)
El Mimbreno Feb 2019 OP
Coventina Feb 2019 #1
Aristus Feb 2019 #2
3_Limes Feb 2019 #4
Maru Kitteh Feb 2019 #7
PasadenaTrudy Feb 2019 #8
trc Feb 2019 #11
dixiegrrrrl Feb 2019 #13
Aristus Feb 2019 #14
dalton99a Mar 2019 #17
theophilus Mar 2019 #19
912gdm Feb 2019 #15
llmart Feb 2019 #12
3_Limes Feb 2019 #3
El Mimbreno Feb 2019 #5
3_Limes Feb 2019 #6
PasadenaTrudy Feb 2019 #9
El Mimbreno Mar 2019 #16
Thomas Hurt Feb 2019 #10
maxsolomon Mar 2019 #18
forthemiddle Mar 2019 #20
Turin_C3PO Mar 2019 #21

Response to El Mimbreno (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:56 PM

1. Man, if those photos aren't the embodiment of what you picture gun humpers to be...

I mean, I know it's not fair to stereotype, but those folks look like they WANT to be stereotypes!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Coventina (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:58 PM

2. Poorly-groomed, poorly-dressed, poorly-everything.

"Them's is how REAL Uhmurrikkkans look!"

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:01 PM

4. Obese too. Don't forget the obesity.

I don't know why, but apparently being at least 40 Lbs. overweight is a strict requirement for 'real 'Murrican' status.

Reply to this post

Response to 3_Limes (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:17 PM

7. CUZ ya gotta EAT A LOTTA MEAT! Vegetables is for them sissy libruls!

and teenage girls!

Real Murrican's™ might eat a tater or a corn cob once in a while at a barrbeeQ or somthin' but thems Murrican vegetables so it's okay.

Reply to this post

Response to 3_Limes (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:18 PM

8. Please don't fat shame people.

Go after their policy beliefs, but please leave body type out of the equation, thank you.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:24 PM

11. Wow.

This is what rural folks look like all around the country. Your condescension is appalling. You go after what they look like instead of what their concerns are versus the legislation. This is what the gun control battle looks like at the local level in rural districts. These folks are swamped with disinformation by pro-gun interests and made fun of by the left who hate them for being who they are. How do we win if we alienate the very folks we need to convert?

Reply to this post

Response to trc (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:29 PM

13. for your reasoned on point comment...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:32 PM

14. We're never going to convert them.

No point in even bothering.

I've been called a 'libtard snowflake' enough not to care about their delicate sensibilities over what we call them.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #14)

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 12:37 PM

17. +1. They are truly irredeemable.

They are willfully ignorant and beyond the reach of logic or reason.

Moreover, they are pretty fucking vile.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #14)

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 12:50 PM

19. That is mighty defeatist talk, imo. Many who are in power would support it whole-

heartedly. If we stop trying to reason with others we are DOOMED to destruction as a planet and a nation. Let's have a little more patience for our own future and benefit, shall we?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:34 PM

15. +1000

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:29 PM

12. Probably haven't bathed in a month.

Plus, there's always the Duck Dynasty look on some of them. Or a mullet.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:59 PM

3. I like this idea. A lot!!

In a way, they're creating a separate country for themselves.

Wanna have tons of guns and shoot all the time? Knock yourselves out! Move to one of these places, and enjoy. And free the rest of us from your nuisance to boot.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Reply to this post

Response to 3_Limes (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:04 PM

5. No win-win for me...

I live there!

Reply to this post

Response to El Mimbreno (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:09 PM

6. Oh yeah. Then there's that. . .

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:20 PM

9. Thank you for posting this

I've been forgetting. I don't live in NM, but follow the news there. How can a county sheriff have this authority? This is so weird! Wonder how the new Gov is responding. Can she do anything?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 01:23 PM

10. another conservative solution in search of a problem and christofascist tribal ritual.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 12:45 PM

18. Slippery Slope Gundamentalists.

The new laws do NOTHING to take your guns UNLESS you're the "individuals deemed a potential high risk of violence, and is directed toward people involved in domestic violence and situations involving mental instability."

are they all saying they might commit gun crimes because they're fucking crazy? or are they just wife beaters?

THINK, rustics.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 12:51 PM

20. Marijuana laws?

Sanctuary Cities?
Where is the law drawn?

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 12:58 PM

21. I live here.

We‘re a liberal place, overall, but there are a fair amount of gun humpers and, unfortunately, they came out in droves.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread