HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Authoritarianism, Trump, ...

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:48 PM

Authoritarianism, Trump, and Rove's Permanent Republican Majority

I keep beating this drum, because I think it's critical to see the forrest throught the trees.

Having just watched the replay of Rachael Maddow and she ended her show with a clip showing this closing statement from Cohen:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/michael-cohen-i-fear-trump-wont-give-up-the-white-house-if-he-loses-in-2020.html

"Indeed given my experience working for Mr. Trump I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power, and this is why I agreed to appear before you today."

It reminds me of the long-standing plans for the GOP to create a "permanent Republican Majority".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-abrams/what-karl-rove-really-had_b_60947.html

Rove’s vision for a permanent Republican majority had little to do with winning properly run elections for the simple reason that there IS no Republican majority in free elections, and Rove knows that. To get a Republican majority and make it permanent, therefore, he had to 1) gain power; and 2) destroy the vitality of democratic institutions.

The book John Dean (yes, Nixon's Dean) wrote on the Authoritarian take-over of the GOP. It was written about Rove, Bush and Cheney in 2006. Here's an intro to a series of articles he wrote to summarized and update it for the Trump ere. In it he cites another great Vox article as well.

https://verdict.justia.com/2018/03/02/trumps-base-authoritarians

Amanda Taub, who described herself at the time as the “senior sadness correspondent, a former human rights lawyer, now covering foreign policy, human rights, and Shetland ponies” at Vox, was fascinated by the MacWilliams report. She started digging, and by March 1, 2016, she published the best piece that would be written during the 2016 presidential election cycle explaining the reason people were drawn to Donald Trump. It was a 7,700-word dip into the well-tested and vast social science that explained the secret source of the Trump phenomenon. Her study and report were titled: “The rise of American authoritarianism,” with a subtitle punching up the significance of it all: “A niche group of political scientists may have uncovered what’s driving Donald Trump’s ascent. What they found has implications that go well beyond 2016.

The Republican party that has faced a Demographic wave that threatens it's existence without changing. And that wave threatens it's foundation built upon white, male, christian power. So they can't change their policies to complete for votes.

So they are on the brink of collapse into destroying democracy to retain power from the minority. And the "base" is made up of "Authoritarians" (people with an authoritarian personality type).

We all need to understand and speak clearly that we are legitimately facing an attack on Democracy through propaganda accepted by an entitled, dangerous and dying power structure. Trump is the icon of that community's desire to hold on to power.

1 replies, 473 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Authoritarianism, Trump, and Rove's Permanent Republican Majority (Original post)
zaj Feb 2019 OP
marylandblue Feb 2019 #1

Response to zaj (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 12:56 PM

1. Even knowing that this is true, how do you propose to stop it?

We can warn people, but history shows that people either do not heed the warnings, or do not care.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread