HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drug companies are sittin...

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 09:30 AM

Drug companies are sitting on generics--43% of recently approved aren't for sale

You pay more for medicine because hundreds of generics aren't for sale.

BETH MOLE - 2/8/2019, 3:50 PM

Of the more than 1,600 generic drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration since January of 2017, more than 700—or 43 percent—are not for sale in the US, according to a new analysis by Kaiser Health News.

The finding means that many pricy, brand-name drugs are not facing the competition that could help drive down soaring prices. Among the drugs missing in action are generic versions of the expensive blood thinner Brilinta and the HIV medication Truvada. Moreover, of the approved drugs that would offer a brand-name drug its first competition, 36 percent are being held off the market, the analysis found.

Experts told KHN that the reasons drug makers may withhold an approved generic from the market are varied. Industry consolidation has made buying, manufacturing, and distributing generics more difficult in recent years. Generic drug makers also, as always, face patent litigation from brand-name makers. Then there’s potentially anti-competitive deals, in which brand-name drug makers simply pay generic makers to keep their product off the market for a while—a so-called “pay for delay” tactic.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02/drug-companies-are-sitting-on-generics-43-of-recently-approved-arent-for-sale/

5 replies, 393 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drug companies are sitting on generics--43% of recently approved aren't for sale (Original post)
workinclasszero Feb 10 OP
kacekwl Feb 10 #1
Wounded Bear Feb 10 #2
workinclasszero Feb 10 #3
Wounded Bear Feb 10 #4
Andy823 Feb 10 #5

Response to workinclasszero (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:04 AM

1. I'm sure trumps all over this travisty

as he said (lied) in the SOTU speech.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to workinclasszero (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:24 AM

2. No money in generics...

They like the big sexy new stuff treating obscure shit nobody ever heard of rather than those boring generics that only keep people alive.

And no, it's not sarcasm, it's truth.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:28 AM

3. Then that's where the government steps in and manufactures the drugs itself

for the benefit of the citizens of the country!

Well if the US government actually gave a shit about it's not 1%er population anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to workinclasszero (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:35 AM

4. I'm with you on that one...

MFA will probably devolve into a 'public option' if we can fight it out.

Any improvement in medical care is something I can support.

Drug prices are a huge part of the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to workinclasszero (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 10, 2019, 10:39 AM

5. I agree

But as long as trump is in office it won't happen. He will simply continue to lie to the people about how "concerned" he is about this, but do as the drug companies want him to do, nothing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread