HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ****BREAKING**** Cory Boo...

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:10 AM

****BREAKING**** Cory Booker announces 2020 Presidential candidacy

Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey joins the 2020 presidential race

By Chelsea Janes and
David Weigel
February 1 at 7:00 AM

Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey said Friday that he will seek the Democratic nomination for president, adding his name to a growing and increasingly diversified field of 2020 candidates intent on taking on President Trump.
Booker made his announcement via an email and video to supporters, and had interviews scheduled throughout the day.

“The history of our nation is defined by collective action; by interwoven destinies of slaves and abolitionists; of those born here and those who chose America as home; of those who took up arms to defend our country, and those who linked arms to challenge and change it,” Booker said in his video, which made repeated references to Trump and his actions as president.

“I believe that we can build a country where no one is forgotten, no one is left behind; where parents can put food on the table; where there are good paying jobs with good benefits in every neighborhood; where our criminal justice system keeps us safe, instead of shuffling more children into cages and coffins; where we see the faces of our leaders on television and feel pride, not shame,” he said.

Booker joined a race already occupied by three other senators — Kamala D. Harris of California, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York — as well as several other candidates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/sen-cory-booker-of-new-jersey-joins-the-2020-presidential-race/2019/01/31/b30ebe22-0027-11e9-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html

74 replies, 2588 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 74 replies Author Time Post
Reply ****BREAKING**** Cory Booker announces 2020 Presidential candidacy (Original post)
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 OP
KWR65 Feb 1 #1
LexVegas Feb 1 #2
Post removed Feb 1 #3
manor321 Feb 1 #4
Sherman A1 Feb 1 #5
Brainstormy Feb 1 #30
Vinca Feb 1 #6
Skidmore Feb 1 #7
rurallib Feb 1 #10
aikoaiko Feb 1 #8
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #9
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #11
NurseJackie Feb 1 #13
bearsfootball516 Feb 1 #14
NurseJackie Feb 1 #15
NewJeffCT Feb 1 #20
Hortensis Feb 1 #25
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #28
JustAnotherGen Feb 1 #36
NewJeffCT Feb 1 #38
JustAnotherGen Feb 1 #69
George II Feb 1 #39
JustAnotherGen Feb 1 #70
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #48
MrsCoffee Feb 1 #65
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #68
NewJeffCT Feb 1 #41
George II Feb 1 #44
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #47
NewJeffCT Feb 1 #53
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #58
Bradshaw3 Feb 1 #55
George II Feb 1 #35
Tom Rinaldo Feb 1 #16
doompatrol39 Feb 1 #17
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #24
George II Feb 1 #22
peacefrogman Feb 1 #62
MrsCoffee Feb 1 #66
NurseJackie Feb 1 #12
Scruffy1 Feb 1 #18
treestar Feb 1 #19
Tarc Feb 1 #21
mcar Feb 1 #23
Adrahil Feb 1 #26
oberliner Feb 1 #29
Adrahil Feb 1 #40
oberliner Feb 1 #52
Adrahil Feb 1 #59
oberliner Feb 1 #27
UniteFightBack Feb 1 #31
DemocratSinceBirth Feb 1 #32
samnsara Feb 1 #34
VWolf Feb 1 #42
DemocratSinceBirth Feb 1 #43
VWolf Feb 1 #45
samnsara Feb 1 #33
ismnotwasm Feb 1 #37
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #46
delisen Feb 1 #49
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #50
delisen Feb 1 #56
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #60
delisen Feb 1 #71
BumRushDaShow Feb 1 #74
keith sw Feb 1 #51
Cicada Feb 1 #73
Blue_Tires Feb 1 #54
LS_Editor Feb 1 #57
WeekiWater Feb 1 #61
Quixote1818 Feb 1 #63
George II Feb 1 #64
JuJuYoshida Feb 1 #67
Blaukraut Feb 1 #72

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:11 AM

1. Yawn.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:13 AM

2. Blah blah disqualified blah blah railroad Al Franken blah blah due process. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:22 AM

4. I'll not directly comment on him at this point, but Harris and Warren are my favorites for now

Reply to this post

Response to manor321 (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:26 AM

5. Agreed

Not my favorite. I'm supporting Andrew Yang at this point, but it's a long way to go yet.

Reply to this post

Response to manor321 (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:28 AM

30. He's way down on my list, but

if he gets the nomination . . .

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:29 AM

6. Sorry, not interested.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:49 AM

7. Booker is a really accomplished man and

I'm looking forward to hearing him out. He has a good heart.

Reply to this post

Response to Skidmore (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:59 AM

10. Right you are - we have some great candidates all of whom deserve a hearing

Take Howard Schultz for example ........ kidding of course.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:52 AM

8. He's going to be very competitive; especially as people learn about his weed legalization efforts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/01/cory-booker-puts-marijuana-legalization-at-the-center-of-his-new-racial-justice-bil/?utm_term=.85941ee8f54f

Sen. Cory Booker on Wednesday introduced legislation that would legalize marijuana, expunge federal marijuana convictions and penalize states with racially-disparate arrest or incarceration rates for marijuana-related crimes. The changes are aimed at undoing some of the harm the nation's decades-long war on drugs has inflicted on poor and minority communities.

Reply to this post

Response to aikoaiko (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 08:58 AM

9. Interesting because I saw a LBN about Baltimore's attempt

at using a court tool for expunging records related to marijuana possession convictions - https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142257447

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:11 AM

11. Good. I like Booker.

He's not my favorite candidate, particularly since I'm very familiar with him due to being my Senator. But I like him and he's a good guy and I think even in the areas I disagree with him on (most notably his coziness with Wall Street) I think he's sincere and well meaning. He probably won't get my primary vote, but if he's the nominee he'll have my full and enthusiastic support.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #11)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:19 AM

13. "most notably his coziness with Wall Street" --- Really? How so?

(most notably his coziness with Wall Street)
Really? How so?

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #13)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:28 AM

14. "Booker Gets More from Wall Street Than Any Member of Congress"

https://www.wnyc.org/story/booker-gets-more-wall-street-any-house-senate-member/

That being said, I'm still a big fan of his. I'll have a tough decision between him and Kamala.

Reply to this post

Response to bearsfootball516 (Reply #14)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:31 AM

15. So these "securities and investment" companies are giving money to Booker?

"Booker Gets More from Wall Street Than Any Member of Congress" https://www.wnyc.org/story/booker-gets-more-wall-street-any-house-senate-member/
So these "securities and investment" companies are giving money to Booker?

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:07 AM

20. sigh - those are individual donations

that are capped at what, $2,700?

Bob from Accounting at Goldman Sachs or Susan in HR at Merrill Lynch donating $25 to Booker is different than the CEO of Goldman Sachs forming a Super PAC that donates $1.9 million to Booker.

I can run through the industries of donors to every single candidate out there - including Bernie Sanders - and find industry donations that would disqualify them in the eyes of many.

The largest PAC donor to Booker when he ran for Senate in 2014 was the Legal Industry, an industry that skews heavily to Democrats. the largest PAC was the law firm of Paul, Weiss, etc - you know, the law firm that helped Thurgood Marshall prepare to argue the Brown vs Board of Education case before the Supreme Court?And, more recently, the law firm that helped in the process that led to the end of DOMA? I'm not going to kill the guy over that, and I believe he said he will not accept PAC money this time out?

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:26 AM

25. :) Intelligent post, good info. I want money OUT of politics

like everyone else here, but in the meantime the size of a donation is not proof of corruption or lack of it. It's profoundly dishonest to pretend that large donors never give for the same honorable reasons small ones do or that politicians who accept large donations must be selling themselves in return. Our top Democrats all refuse donations every election.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #20)

28. Nobody said "kill the guy over that"...

...nor did anyone say they wouldn't support him enthusiastically if he ends up the nominee.

It's just something that makes him not the front runner, for me personally and I'm sure others.

There was also his MTP or Face the Nation appearance (I forget which it was) where he criticized Obama for being too hard on Wall Street/Bankers/etc., so it's not like it's just the donations that give people pause.

And as someone who lives 15 minutes from Newark, I saw first hand how much he put his faith in big business/the wealthy/etc. to fix a lot of the problems that needed to be fixed there (spoiler alert: they didn't). He has an Obama-esque naive faith in certain power structures, concepts, and ideas that I just do not personally share.

Like I said in my initial post: I like him. He's a good guy, and I think he's sincere. I just have some policy disagreements with him, and that makes him not my first choice in the primary. But it also doesn't mean I wouldn't support him enthusiastically as our nominee.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #28)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:38 AM

36. I'm in Hunterdon County

In a small town - most of my neighbors are Democratic Party Members.

4 work on Wall Street (car, train, tunnel) each day. I know for a fact that they each gave between $500 and $1000 each to him last election.

They aren't billionaires and they don't make a million dollars a year.
I used to work for VZW and was a big donor - again not making a million dollars a year.

Another neighbor works for Bayer as an exec and is a big donor ($500 +) and another works as an executive assistant at J & J (husband owns a landscaping business) and I'm pretty sure they gave about $200 to him last election.

Sharing this because yeah - he's beholden to wall street, pharma and telecom because we - a portion of New Jersey folks put a roof over our head and food on our table with jobs in those fields.

So - his numbers may be over the top in those categories because $500 there, and $100 here adds up pretty quick.

Regardless - all of that - he's not my first choice. I want him in the Senate. Good, bad, indifferent - I want to be represented by him in the Senate.

Personally - I'm Harris or Buttigieg at this point. I think they are both very very BRAVE.

Reply to this post

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #36)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:41 AM

38. I like Booker in the Senate as well

and, I'm also concerned that he should be out preparing to run for re-election to the Senate in 2020 as well.

Harris and Warren at least don't have to worry about running for Senate since they just won elections (2016 and 2018)

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #38)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:38 PM

69. I think we can get him over the finish line for Senate

That's not a problem. Even if he stays in the race until right before our June 2020 Primary - we can get him over the finish line.

But - I really really love my Senators. I know Bob has taken some heat - but he's such a genuine sweetheart. They both are.

Those two are not phoney baloneys and we know that what they tell us is the truth.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:47 AM

39. In my family of 8 (parents and six children) five of us worked at a bank at one time or another....

....none of us were "wall street"! My father managed a department of IT people (back when it was still "date processing" - his department was the key punch dept), that was the highest level of any of us. My brother and sister were bank tellers at neighborhood bank branches - certainly not "wall street".

My father also was hired back in the late 1960s by Frank Lautenberg when he was General Manager of a fledgling company of 100 employees in Clifton, NJ - Automatic Data Processing, now known as simply ADP!

I wonder if there's anyone on this site who doesn't deal with a bank (i.e., "financial industry) at least once a day.

Oh, and my wife and I each take two medications each morning, I guess we'll be classified as "big pharma".

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #39)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:40 PM

70. I love this

And I loved Lautenberg too!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:25 AM

48. Bingo....

Very well said and entirely accurate.

Nothing anyone (including myself) is saying about him is false, and nobody is saying it's a deal breaker. Just that it's our reason for him not being our first choices in the primary.

As I said below, if this level of criticism is getting people in a snit then it is going to be a long primary season.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #48)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:11 PM

65. Actually I don't think the post you responded to says what you think it says.

You can't say that post is entirely accurate while also saying it's not false to claim he is "beholden to wall street" in the way that you meant it.

"Sharing this because yeah - he's beholden to wall street, pharma and telecom because we - a portion of New Jersey folks put a roof over our head and food on our table with jobs in those fields."

Read that over and over again.

The money is coming from individuals who happen to work in those industries, not the companies themselves.

Reply to this post

Response to MrsCoffee (Reply #65)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:36 PM

68. Wow. It is going to be a rough primary season..

.....if people are this bent out of shape over minor criticisms in a post that says how they actually like the person in question.

But for the record, if you receive most of your money from individuals who work in an industry you can be just as beholden to that industry as if you receive it from the companies themselves. That's not that much of a stretch and not that complicated.

For instance whether Joe Manchin receives his money from coal miners or coal executives is almost inconsequential. The end result is that he may be obliged to that industry in some way. And if there are examples of that person actin in favor to that industry then it's not completely out of left field to make that connection.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #28)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:58 AM

41. He was killed over the vote for the non binding resolution

in the Senate back in 2017 - the NY Observer (the Kushner newspaper) had a big headline how he was in the pocket of Big Pharma and had the deceptive meme on their front page. A lot of liberals/progressives ran with it and claimed he was in the pocket of Big Pharma

1) the resolution was non-binding
2) many said that Republicans would have used that resolution to spearhead the process to repeal Obamacare

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #41)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:12 AM

44. Was that the resolution to allow drugs to be imported into the US from Canada and other countries?

If so, he explained the reason for his vote, which was the same as some other Senators. Imported drugs would not have had the inspection and quality control safeguards that US medications have. There was a risk that people could be getting inferior drugs.

It was NOT a vote to protect the pharmaceutical industry. Many of the drugs manufactured outside the US are done so by American based companies anyway. For example, Pfizer has more than 60 plants around the world.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #41)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:23 AM

47. Here's the thing....

...just being from NJ he's beholden to big pharma and to some degree big finance and Wall Street. I'm from here and he has to be. You can't be anti-big Pharma or a Warren style economic firebrand and be from here. As someone else pointed out, it comes with the territory.

Is it a reason to not vote for him against Trump? Of course not.

Is it a valid reason to not have him as your first choice in the primary? Definitely.

If people are getting this upset over relatively innocuous and absolutely valid criticisms of candidates, especially when it is most specifically in contrast to other candidates.....it is going to be a long primary season.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #47)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:47 AM

53. You can say that about every candidate

Because you have banks in every state and the defense industry in nearly every state

Sanders and the defense industry in Vermont
Harris and her accepting money from Steve Mnuchin
Gillebrand and banks in NY
Castro and oil/gas maybe? (hard to avoid in Texas)
Pharma and Biotech are big in the Boston area, and I bet I can find some donors to Warren that are employed in those industries

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #53)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:16 PM

58. Again....it's less about the donations themselves...

...and more about how they vote and act and speak in conjunction with those donations. Someone with his donation record who goes on TV and talks about how President Obama should stop vilifying Wall Street doesn't really check off my boxes personally (though he is head and shoulders above Blue Dog Gillibrand)

If he's your guy, then more power to you and good luck in the primaries.

He's not my guy for a few different reasons, but being a bit more corporate friendly than the rest is just one of them. But I said repeatedly I'd have no major problem with him as our nominee and would enthusiastically support and work for him in the GE.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #47)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:50 AM

55. Excellent points

Some of the defensiveness, especially on this subject, I think goes back to the 2016 primary.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:37 AM

35. That is SO untrue. Do you know what comprises "wall street" in opensecrets' analysis?

Let's start with:

Bookkeepers
Bank tellers
Housekeeping workers
Maintenance workers
Clerical workers
Secretaries
Mail room workers
Receptionists
Cafeteria workers
...and more.

Do you know what the biggest employers in terms of actual people are in and around NYC (Newark is within spitting distance of lower Manhattan, even closer to Staten Island)? Banks and Financial institutions (i.e., big bad "wall street" )!

I'm so tired of people throwing around that term "wall street" without looking into what that really means. Next thing you know it we'll be hearing about "big pharma" too!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:44 AM

16. Pretty much my hit on him also

And he could get my primary vote, though he's not at the top of my list.. Depends on who is still viable when New York gets to vote and what happens between now and then.

Reply to this post

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Reply #16)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:47 AM

17. Yeah, I'm in NJ so my primary vote doesn't matter...

...but I still vote anyway based on who is left.

And if he's still in the running at that point it's also not like he wouldn't win the NJ primary.

Reply to this post

Response to doompatrol39 (Reply #17)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:17 AM

24. I am in PA and just checked

to find our primary is the end of April (it rotates every year - April/May/April/May) and most times everything is already pretty much decided by the time we have our primary.

... Although with California going so early, it might make things more interesting.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:14 AM

22. Are you familiar with campaign finance laws?

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 01:20 PM

62. Thanks everyone for this conversation. Very informative and fact base. Helps ground us.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #22)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:16 PM

66. I'm going to guess no.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:18 AM

12. I wish him much luck!

I remember the first time I saw him give an interview on the Rachel Maddow Show. He was just a Mayor, and I knew then that he'd go far and that great things were ahead for him.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 09:57 AM

18. Great to so many good candidates come out early and swinging.

This will definitely take the microphone away from The Dolt. The talking heads will finally have something else to discuss with all these candidates grabbing headlines.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:03 AM

19. Great, the more the merrier

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:08 AM

21. My early favorite is still Harris, but Booker has a lot of upside

I look forward to his campaign and his ideas.

One great thing about the wide 2020 field as opposed to the wide 2016 GOP one, we're going to see adults actually debating ideas, not white nationalist-coddlers trying to one-up each other in 2-Minute Hate tirades.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:17 AM

23. Good news!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 AM

26. Yay!

Harris is at the top of my list right now, but Booker is great, and I think he is very charismatic. Let’s see what he’s got!

Reply to this post

Response to Adrahil (Reply #26)

29. They would be great running mates!

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #29)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:50 AM

40. They would indeed!

I still harbor a secret desire for a Harris/O'Rourke Ticket, or an O'Rourke/Harris ticket, but it looks like Beto is leaning to not running. And I think Booker is very strong. My only hesitation about him is I want to see how he handles the inevitable attacks against him. He has to deal with them head on.

Reply to this post

Response to Adrahil (Reply #40)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:45 AM

52. I love Harris at the top of the ticket

And I think Booker would be a great #2.

Yes, there will be attacks - but such is the nature of the primary season.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #52)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:20 PM

59. I agree on all counts!!! NT

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 AM

27. Very excited about his campaign

He is inspiring and will be a strong candidate for sure.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:29 AM

31. Looks like we need to see some debates !! nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:29 AM

32. He has the best resume in the race.

Stanford BA
Stanford MA
Oxford MA
Yale JD
Mayor
Senator

And

Was named to the 1986 USA Today All-USA high school football team
While at Stanford, he played football as a tight end and was teammates with Brad Muster and Ed McCaffrey
Made the All–Pacific-10 Academic team and was elected senior class president

Reply to this post

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Reply #32)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:35 AM

34. wow thats impressive!

Reply to this post

Response to VWolf (Reply #42)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:09 AM

43. He's just an impressive guy. I hope he does well.

Reply to this post

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Reply #43)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:13 AM

45. My 18 yo daughter met him last year at a voter registration drive

She said he was very courteous and well-spoken.

He insisted that she take a selfie with him. That picture would be gold to her if he won the White House.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:33 AM

33. they are ALL so GOOD!!!!!

….im just going to let it play out. I have my favs but I also will not support anyone who goes negative during the campaign...but I WILL VOTE FOR THE DEM NOM!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 10:39 AM

37. I like him too.

This is going to be interesting

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:13 AM

46. Interesting article on ideology scores from 2017

with highlighted supporters of single-payer (from NYT)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/13/us/sanders-medicare-for-all-plan-support.html

(was trying to find a screencap of the whole image)

Edit - found one -

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:31 AM

49. Corey Booker, Bain Capital, Zuckerberg,Betsey DeVos, Christie

Corey Booker is a bit of an actor.

He has worked well with Chris Christie and billionaires against public schools. Took power away from school boards and privatized them draining the public schools.

If you believe in schools being accountable to the public instead of using public money to enrich the Charter School industry--a privatization of government you might consider Corey Booker.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/02/cory-booker-betsy-devos-statement-hypocritical-school-choice-teachers-union-education/

Reply to this post

Response to delisen (Reply #49)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:33 AM

50. "National Review"

equals the William F. Buckley RW conservative magazine.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #50)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:04 PM

56. Try Roussekov/NY Times.The Charter movement

has been draining the public schools and in many places has taken decision-making away from parents. and communities, as well as draining the public schools of money and resources.

Charters are generally not accountable to us the people for their expenditures of public money. In some places they have actually been able to take over the buildings-public assets for free.

The Charter "reforms" often leave poorer children and disabled children isolated in schools with drastically deceased funding. In many places they have become a new market for capitalism-which is always seeking new markets.

I thought the National Review made some important points but the NY Times and many other publication are available to read.

There is now in many places a realization that the billionaire interest in charter schools has become an opportunity to privatize, segregate, drain public resources, and deprofessioanize education and disempower educators and communities.

Reply to this post

Response to delisen (Reply #56)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:35 PM

60. I initially felt the same way about him

however he has done a pretty big tack to the left. See my post here, which also references the NYT - https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211756882#post46

(and I have had a sub to the NYT since 1976).

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #60)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 03:07 PM

71. Thanks for the link.n/t

Reply to this post

Response to delisen (Reply #71)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 03:46 PM

74. I found the survey site's latest data and posted it in my LBN thread

Reposting -

https://voteview.com/congress/senate

If you scroll down to the list of all the Senators, there are blue-highlighted option links to sort the data - including the current ranking of the members. Plus they have this in tabular form here - https://voteview.com/congress/senate/-1/text

From the tablular, the top 10 "liberals" were these -

1. WARREN, Elizabeth Democrat Massachusetts -0.757
2. HARRIS, Kamala Devi Democrat California -0.694
3. BOOKER, Cory Anthony Democrat New Jersey -0.615
4. BALDWIN, Tammy Democrat Wisconsin -0.522
5. SANDERS, Bernard Independent Vermont -0.521
6. MARKEY, Edward John Democrat Massachusetts -0.503
7. HIRONO, Mazie Democrat Hawaii -0.486
8. MERKLEY, Jeff Democrat Oregon -0.481
9. UDALL, Thomas (Tom) Democrat New Mexico -0.454
10. BROWN, Sherrod Democrat Ohio -0.438

https://voteview.com/congress/senate/-1/text

That site's "About" says this -

About the project

Voteview allows users to view every congressional roll call vote in American history on a map of the United States and on a liberal-conservative ideological map including information about the ideological positions of voting Senators and Representatives. The original Voteview of DOS was developed by Keith T. Poole and Howard Rosenthal at Carnegie-Mellon University between 1989 and 1992. Poole and Rosenthal developed Voteview for Windows in 1993 at Princeton University and that work was continued by Boris Shor. The legacy version of the website is available at legacy.voteview.com.

The new voteview.com combines the visualizations provided by the now obsolete Voteview desktop system, data and NOMINATE estimates provided by the old voteview.com web site, and up-to-date voting data from the current Congress with new search, download and visualization functionality.

Ideological positions are calculated using the DW-NOMINATE (Dynamic Weighted NOMINAl Three-step Estimation). This procedure was developed by Poole and Rosenthal in the 1980s and is a "scaling procedure", representing legislators on a spatial map. In this sense, a spatial map is much like a road map--the closeness of two legislators on the map shows how similar their voting records are. Using this measure of distance, DW-NOMINATE is able to recover the "dimensions" that inform congressional voting behavior.

The primary dimension through most of American history has been "liberal" vs. "conservative" (also referred to as "left" vs. "right" ). A second dimension picks up differences within the major political parties over slavery, currency, nativism, civil rights, and lifestyle issues during periods of American history.

More: https://voteview.com/about

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=2257811

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:43 AM

51. I like Booker

But he is just too corporate for me. Of course, I would support him if he were the nominee

Reply to this post

Response to keith sw (Reply #51)

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 03:33 PM

73. Yes, he is corporate. But only Nixon could go to China

Only a rabid anti communist like Nixon could get away with peace with China, his spectacularly brilliant foreign policy success. And I think Booker would be better able to get higher business taxes and more regulations protecting us.. Clinton ran as a blue dog democrat, not a liberal. And his tax hike passed.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 11:49 AM

54. This is starting to become a crowded-ass house...

Starting to remind me a little of 2004...

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:05 PM

57. Boo

His vote against importing prescriptions shows us where he stands - with corporations. He stood with the GOP.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 12:39 PM

61. Love it as he is an excellent spokesperson for us.

The only drawback is that we are now entering the arena of serious overlap. The image of being a leader will be hugely important with this overlap.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 01:24 PM

63. He is fine. Probably around my 5th pick at this time. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:03 PM

64. We saw him live on The View a little while ago, his first appearance since announcing.

Last edited Fri Feb 1, 2019, 03:54 PM - Edit history (1)

Of course Meghan McCain tried to stir it up, asking him how he can convince people to think he's authentic (not the exact question, but that was the idea), he made a little face and said, "just be myself!" Great comeback.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 02:18 PM

67. Wish he'd run with Kamala

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2019, 03:09 PM

72. Welcome to the party, Senator Booker! n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread