HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Saudi woman who fled to T...

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 04:05 PM

Saudi woman who fled to Thailand granted asylum in Canada...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-saudi-refugee-in-thailand-headed-to-canada/

A young Saudi woman who is fleeing abuse from her family in the oil-rich and conservative Islamic kingdom has been granted asylum in Canada.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters on Friday that that the United Nations Human Rights Commission reached out to Canada to request that 18-year old Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun be allowed to live in this country.

"That is something that we are pleased to do because Canada is a country that understands how important it is to stand up for human rights, to stand up for women's rights around the world," Mr. Trudeau told a news conference in Regina.

Ms. al-Qunun had escaped from her family in Kuwait last Saturday and flew to Thailand to seek asylum, saying she feared her family would kill her if she returned to Saudi Arabia, where women are considered second-class citizens.

Sid

4 replies, 280 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Saudi woman who fled to Thailand granted asylum in Canada... (Original post)
SidDithers Jan 11 OP
eissa Jan 11 #1
pnwmom Jan 11 #3
hunter Jan 11 #2
SunSeeker Jan 11 #4

Response to SidDithers (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 04:10 PM

1. While I'm happy for this woman

Iím a little perterbed at how quickly this was processed. My in-laws (Assyrians fleeing the Syrian war and living as refugees in Lebanon) have been waiting for years to gain asylum into any country. Theyíve appealed to Canada, Australia and European countries, all to no avail. They donít want to get into that dingy and cross the sea, but they might have no choice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to eissa (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 04:13 PM

3. Did they renounce the Muslim religion? That would have brought the death penalty for this woman,

because she did that. So she had an open-and-shut case, as I understand it.

I AM sorry for your relatives. I wish all people in their situation safe harbor.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 04:12 PM

2. Can California get asylum too?

Trump hates us.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 04:27 PM

4. Trudeau again provides the world moral leadership, in the vacuum Trump created. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread