HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ex-campaign surrogate say...

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:53 AM

Ex-campaign surrogate says 'Me Too' has been weaponized against Sanders

Nomiki Konst, a former surrogate for Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-Vt.) presidential campaign, on Friday said that the "Me Too" movement has been weaponized against the senator in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against staffers from his 2016 presidential campaign.

"This is an issue on all campaigns. This is not a Bernie Sanders issue," Konst told Hill.TV's Krystal Ball and Buck Sexton on "Rising."

"I think, unfortunately, the 'Me Too' movement has been used as a political weapon in this case," she continued. "It has to be dealt with no matter what, but it is not something that feeds into this old Bernie bro narrative."

"The deputy campaign manager for Bernie Sanders was a woman. The chief of staff for Bernie Sanders had been a woman for years. I mean, there is always a need for women in leadership to address these issues, but I've seen this played out in the media. We have to remember that there are women that have been part of this movement, and they shouldn't be erased," she said citing female Sanders supporters such as herself, former Ohio state Sen. Nina Turner (D) and actress Rosario Dawson.

"I don't think that their leadership should be erased, and that's something that his opponents have done by lumping 'Me Too' into the Bernie bro narrative that is somehow coming back in 2019," she said.

more + video
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/424888-ex-surrogate-says-me-too-movement-has-been-weaponized-against-sanders

14 replies, 473 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:58 AM

1. so Somehow Me, Too is at fault and it's all politics?

Just tell us what you’re going to do in the future. That’s all we want to hear. And an apology.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:58 AM

2. Damn straight it has been weaponized.

Look out in every direction. No more tolerance. Male "aggression" toward women has been a weapon since forever. Deal with it.

Deal with the campaign you were involved in. Use what you are learning to make future campaigns more safe. Other campaigns will be taking notice. That is a good thing. Don't just minimize the blame.

Reply to this post

Response to WeekiWater (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:01 PM

11. But a *woman* has now said that Bernie's being targeted unfairly by metoo, so it MUST be true!

That settles it, then!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 09:59 AM

3. It was used as a weapon again Al Franken. They are trying same against Bernie now!

Reply to this post

Response to Joe941 (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 12:37 PM

9. Several of his own male & female staffers are "they' in this circumstance. Not so with Franken. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to ehrnst (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 AM

4. Nomiki supported Masha Mendieta's claims against Arturo Carmona. Not sure why she would

think all this info re: payoffs, reported abuse etc. on Bernie's campaign wouldn't impact him.

It's coming back because Bernie supporters asked for a meeting about it. And because Carmona showed up at the Sanders Institute gathering last Nov/Dec it probably looked like nothing was learned/changed.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 11:09 AM

5. I liked Sanders policies and platform.

IF there are allgations against some of his staff, that doesn't change what I liked about his policies.

Reply to this post

Response to Merlot (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:09 PM

13. YES,there are allegations, and Sanders has stated this week "he knew nothing" about them at the time

He was told about them in March 2017, and allegations against his Latino Outreach director went public in the LA Times, but Sanders did not reached out to the victims or apologized for it until this week when it went public in December that there were several staffers and complaints were not addressed when they happened.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/bernie-2016-staffers-sexual-harassment-claims-were-ignored.html

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-bernie-sanders-campaign-sexual-violence-20181230-story.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-01-11/bernie-sanders-faces-questions-about-political-future

I liked John Edwards' policies too. His actions didn't change my opinion of his policies, but it did change my opinion about whether or not he had the judgement to be POTUS.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 12:18 PM

6. I heard something similar during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings.

And things turned out fine for him nonetheless.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 12:27 PM

7. "Everybody does it" is her argument?

Reply to this post

Response to mcar (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 12:31 PM

8. And go on the attack against whistleblowers.

Last edited Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:02 PM - Edit history (1)

So "progressive."

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:02 PM

12. Jesus fucking Christ

Bernie Sanders campaign can do a little soul searching. It certainly wouldn’t hurt, Bernie himself has apologized.. twice. Nothing was weaponized, there were a few fucking creeps working within a male dominated power structure. #Metoo is about identifying and exposing these assholes.

Reply to this post

Response to ismnotwasm (Reply #12)

Fri Jan 11, 2019, 01:12 PM

14. +1000

That's why they sent a woman to attack #metoo, and not Weaver.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread