HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Curious picture emerges o...

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 03:49 PM

Curious picture emerges of American arrested on espionage charges in Russia

Russia’s arrest of U.S. citizen Paul Whelan on espionage charges represents a new flashpoint in an increasingly hostile relationship between Washington and Moscow.

Former officials and experts see Paul Whelan as a pawn in a larger geopolitical fight that has only intensified with the recent indictments of Russians by the United States. The Kremlin has accused Paul Whelan of spying but has offered few specifics about the circumstances of his arrest, the news of which broke on New Year’s Eve.

Since then, a curious picture has emerged in the media of a former Marine and avid traveler who built a network of contacts in Russia through social media and journeyed there several times since 2006.

Former officials say he does not fit the mold of someone recruited to spy on behalf of the U.S. More likely, they say, his detention was orchestrated in retribution for the guilty plea of Maria Butina, who admitted last month to being a Russian foreign agent infiltrating conservative organizations in the U.S. Some have suggested Russia could be setting the stage for a prisoner exchange for Butina, harkening back to the Soviet era.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/424648-curious-picture-emerges-of-american-arrested-on-espionage-charges-in?userid=229233

5 replies, 1084 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Curious picture emerges of American arrested on espionage charges in Russia (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jan 10 OP
Crutchez_CuiBono Jan 10 #1
Mme. Defarge Jan 10 #2
poli-junkie Jan 10 #3
leftynyc Jan 10 #5
fierywoman Jan 10 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 04:06 PM

2. I have wondered

if he might actually be working for Russia.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 04:17 PM

3. I hear Whelan is a Trumper

and has dual citizenships with the UK, and maybe with more countries (?). And he was dishonorably discharged from the military as well. Sketchy situation if you ask me.

Reply to this post

Response to poli-junkie (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 04:32 PM

5. 4 passports

I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I screw this up - British, Irish, Canadian and US. British and Irish from one of his parents, Canadian from the other and took US citizenship on his own.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 04:24 PM

4. Does anyone know if Butina herself wants to return to Russia after

pleading guilty here?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread