HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Labour MP: "There is no l...

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 12:16 PM

Labour MP: "There is no leftwing justification for Brexit"

Extracts from Labour MP David Lammy's speech:

Brexit is a con, a trick, a swindle, a fraud, a deception that will hurt most of those people it promised to help, a dangerous fantasy which will make every problem it claims to solve worse ...

Friends on this side of the House tell me to appease Labour voters in industrial towns - the former miners, the factory workers, those who feel theyíve been left behind. I say we must not patronise them with cowardice, letís tell them the truth - you were old a lie.

Immigrants have not taken your jobs, our schools and colleges failed to give you the skills, hospitals are not crumbling because of health tourists but decades of austerity that ground them down to the bone, you cannot afford a house because both parties failed to build, not because of Mohammed down the road who moved in, and wealth was hoarded in London when it should have been shared across the country.

Blame us, blame Westminster, do not blame Brussels for our own countryís mistakes and do not be angry at us for telling you the truth, be angry at the chancers who sold you a lie ...

Just as I speak plainly to the government this time around, let me also speak to the pposition about some home truths. There is no leftwing justification for Brexit.

Ditching workersí rights, social protections and ending environmental cooperation is not progressive.

This is a project about neo-liberal deregulation, itís Thatcherism on steroids pushed by her modern-day disciples.

Leaving the EU will not free us from the injustices of global capitalism, it will make us subordinate to Trumpís US.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/jan/10/brexit-latest-news-corbyn-speech-may-press-conference-reaches-out-to-labour-by-welcoming-workers-rights-amendment-politics-live?page=with:block-5c37727ae4b072dc52e6c35a#block-5c37727ae4b072dc52e6c35a

3 replies, 1287 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Labour MP: "There is no leftwing justification for Brexit" (Original post)
manor321 Jan 10 OP
RAB910 Jan 10 #1
BadGimp Jan 10 #2
peggysue2 Jan 10 #3

Response to manor321 (Original post)

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 12:33 PM

1. Brexit is Briton's Donald Trump

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:31 PM

2. These kinds of argument make sense if people will listen... and think.

But they won't.

Which is why the Nationalistic arguments prevails among the low info member of any country. It feels right and requires no critical thinking.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 10, 2019, 02:43 PM

3. I heard one Brit refer to Brexit as . . .

the public voting for a submarine made out of cheese. Instead of Parliament pushing against the stupidity, telling the truth about how worse Brexit will make life for ordinary citizens, they've acquiesced, shrugged off their responsibility and said: Yes, a submarine made out of cheese is a jolly good idea. Let's proceed!

Very reminiscent of Republicans and their defense of Trumpski, obviously unfit and an absolute fraud. Instead of telling the truth, the GOP defends the indefensible, their own 'jolly good idea' moment.

We're surrounded by idiots and traitors. So many compromised and complicit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread