HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Like a pawn in a game": ...

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:20 AM

"Like a pawn in a game": Furloughed workers react to Trump's speech

In President Trump's first address from the Oval Office, he tried to convince Americans that the flow of illegal immigrants across the southern border is in fact a crisis. Among those likely watching the president's address and Democratic response last night were hundreds of thousands of federal workers who are currently living without pay.

In Northern California, Julie Clark's side business cleaning windows is now her only source of income after being furloughed as a park ranger. She's worried about defaulting on her student loans. Leisyka Parrott also works for the Bureau of Land Management and is not getting a paycheck. She's a single mother who is down to her last $800. CBS News correspondent Carter Evans watched the speeches with Julie, Leisyka and her son. The women said they did not get the message they were hoping for.

"Yeah, I was hoping, I was like, oh they're going to put us back to work tomorrow. That's what I was hoping to hear. To be honest. I mean, maybe I'm living in a dream world but it seems even more polarized than I could have imagined," Leisyka Parrott said.

Julie Clark said that although she considers herself quite resilient, she feels like she's "being punished" for something she didn't do....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-speech-government-shutdown-furloughed-workers-react-to-border-security-speech/

5 replies, 572 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Like a pawn in a game": Furloughed workers react to Trump's speech (Original post)
mia Jan 9 OP
ProudMNDemocrat Jan 9 #1
liberal N proud Jan 9 #3
malaise Jan 9 #2
bdamomma Jan 9 #4
mia Jan 9 #5

Response to mia (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:24 AM

1. I wonder who those affected voted for in 2016.

Those who voted for Trump and are being punished by this shutdown, I pray they get their minds changed that Trump a d Republicans do not give a shit about them. They bought into the con job he was selling. People make mistakes. THIS mistake was avoidable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProudMNDemocrat (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:36 AM

3. Those who voted for trump are likely to blame democrats

They are still buying his bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to mia (Original post)

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:31 AM

2. Well the Con likes being a 'bigly winner' and come

Saturday he will have the longest shutdown in history.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:37 AM

4. he needs to be shutdown.

Jerk. malaise.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 9, 2019, 08:45 AM

5. He'll probably brag about that too. Make America Groan Again

"This is the biggest shutdown in United States history. I am the greatest shakedowner of them all... and sundowner too."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread