HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The accused American spy ...

Fri Jan 4, 2019, 05:03 PM

The accused American spy held in Russia has a criminal background

and has had financial crimes in his past. Putin may have dirt on him the Wash. Post reports.

"The Marine Corps found Paul Whelan, the American citizen detained by Russia on espionage charges, guilty of attempting to steal more than $10,000 worth of currency from the U.S. government while deployed to Iraq in 2006 and bouncing nearly $6,000 worth of checks around the same time, according to records obtained by The Washington Post."

"Whelanís financial problems potentially would have made him a prime target for Russian intelligence services."

"All intelligence services routinely look for people in financial distress who they might recruit or blackmail. An active duty Marine traveling in Russia would have quickly caught the attention of Russian intelligence services, said Dan Hoffman, a former CIA officer who served as the chief of station in Moscow".

"Whelanís family has maintained he is innocent, and that the Michigan resident and former policeman was in Moscow for a friendís wedding when he was arrested by members of Russiaís security services in an upscale hotel not far from the Kremlin."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/four-countries-now-have-links-to-american-detained-in-russia-as-international-spillover-widens/2019/01/04/25d93b2e-1029-11e9-8f0c-6f878a26288a_story.html

4 replies, 575 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The accused American spy held in Russia has a criminal background (Original post)
BigmanPigman Jan 4 OP
cwydro Jan 4 #1
MrScorpio Jan 4 #4
dalton99a Jan 4 #2
saidsimplesimon Jan 4 #3

Response to BigmanPigman (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2019, 05:06 PM

1. He has a Bad Conduct discharge from the Marines too.

NOT a good thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cwydro (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 4, 2019, 06:41 PM

4. Yep, the Big Chicken Dinner would be an enticing attraction for the Rooskies

He was like a big wrapped package with a bow on top, the moment he stepped off the plane in Moscow.

You know, my military career wasnít as half as colorful as this guyís and I would never set foot in Russia, simply because I could possibly draw their attention.

Some places arenít smart to go to.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Original post)

Fri Jan 4, 2019, 05:07 PM

2. "Whelan also had an active profile for years on the Russian social media platform"

Why?

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 4, 2019, 06:34 PM

3. Good question,

Is he a double agent, loyal only to his Russian handlers?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread