HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » We have to be prepared fo...

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:44 PM

We have to be prepared for the prospect of Ginsburg and Breyer being replaced by right-wingers.

Republicans will have 53 seats in the new year. Mitch "Ruthless Machiavellian Asshole" McConnell will be empowered, and with Mueller's investigation closing in on Trump and co. + a determined, confident incoming Democratic majority in the House, the Republican Senate and Federalist Society fanatics will shove through as many people at every level of the federal courts - including the Supreme Court. And, if both Ginsburg and Breyer retire (or God Forbid, die), the thugs in the Republican Party will get two more Supreme Court seats - a 7-2 far-Right Supreme Court majority. It seems unimaginable how bad that will be, but we need to imagine it, because it's absolutely possible.

These people are on a WARPATH. They don't give a shit about public opinion, they despise democracy, they are willing to blow everything up that stands in their way in their craven pursuit of power and protecting the entrenched privileges and hierarchies that benefit the mostly white, mostly male, reactionary elite. And they've proven themselves willing to commit or at the very least, accept and enable TREASON against this country in the form of collusion with hostile oligarchs from around the world. They have no shame, no empathy, no conscience, no sense of guilt, no interest in right or wrong. Might makes right for them, and the Right will use all of the Might that they have to oppress us all for eternity.

We need to be prepared for this. We need to remain vigilant and not fight the last war. We need to unite, put aside any internal divisions - at least, for now - and fight these people like our future depended on it. Because guess what? Our future depends on it.

8 replies, 616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply We have to be prepared for the prospect of Ginsburg and Breyer being replaced by right-wingers. (Original post)
TSheehan Dec 21 OP
madaboutharry Dec 21 #1
monmouth4 Dec 21 #2
Hoyt Dec 21 #3
Stinky The Clown Dec 21 #4
BeyondGeography Dec 21 #6
Amishman Dec 21 #5
EffieBlack Dec 21 #7
FBaggins Dec 22 #8

Response to TSheehan (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:51 PM

1. Neither are going to retire.

They need to stay there until the next election. I am optimistic that it is going to be fine.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:52 PM

2. Excellent post and welcome to DU. I dread the thought but you are absolutely correct. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:56 PM

3. It's a big concern that should have been the determinant of the 2016 election.

I hope neither retires, but it is a choice they might have to make.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 02:56 PM

4. I admire them both, *especially* RBG, but . . . . . .

. . . . . a part of me is angry that she didn't retire early in Obama's presidency.

Again, I have the greatest respect and admiration for her, but man, its worrisome watching her health issues pay out.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 03:18 PM

6. Agreed

Seems she was fixated on Stevens making it all the way to 90 and she wanted to equal that. We sit here fretting about huge issues while big decisions turn on selfish little things.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 03:08 PM

5. Not worried about Breyer, very worried about RBG

As I posted elsewhere, lobectomy and broken ribs on the same side means very high risk of pneumonia or other complications

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 03:21 PM

7. The time to prepare for this was in 2010, 2014 and 2016...

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2018, 01:09 PM

8. The art of the deal

Let him have his wall... in exchange for picking Garland.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread