HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I could relate to W's mov...

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 07:41 PM

I could relate to W's moving statement about his dad today.

Several years ago I lost my beloved sister in law to liver cirrhosis. At her memorial service I recited lyrics from Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water." My quote was "Sail on silver girl, sail on by." I started to break down but managed to finish "Oh, if you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind."

My son saw me falter and started to rise and support me physically. Which he did and I was able to break down in my seat in the church. It was a devastating moment. I can relate to what happened to W.

These services are hard. Everything hits you. Your loved one is dead and no-one is going to bring them back.

George W. Bush was finally relatable to me when I saw that clip. My heart went out to him

9 replies, 415 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply I could relate to W's moving statement about his dad today. (Original post)
CTyankee Dec 5 OP
tblue37 Dec 5 #1
htuttle Dec 5 #2
pnwmom Dec 5 #5
Hekate Dec 5 #3
pnwmom Dec 5 #4
The Velveteen Ocelot Dec 5 #6
TheCowsCameHome Dec 5 #7
cynatnite Dec 5 #8
AnnieBW Dec 5 #9

Response to CTyankee (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 07:47 PM

1. Honestly, I actually cried watching him. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:12 PM

2. I bawled at my father's funeral service, too

It hit like a wave, and surprised the hell out of me. I couldn't control it. Just had to let it flow through.

For all that I disagreed with the Bushes, and probably called them the devil incarnate more than once, I never doubted that they were human beings, or thought that they were deeply psychologically disturbed or stupid. Just flawed in the typical ways.

Reply to this post

Response to htuttle (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:23 PM

5. Right. They are normal, flawed human beings.

Not pathological narcissists or non-humans in human skin.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:15 PM

3. Thanks, Yank. We need reminders of our common humanity. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:21 PM

4. People with empathy react empathically. It happened to me, too.

It brought back to me my mother's death last spring.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:27 PM

6. Me, too.

I gave him a lot of credit for being able to do it at all - I couldn't speak at either of my parents' services because I knew I'd have totally collapsed into a blubbering heap. Also, GHWB reminded me a little bit of my own dad - there was even a slight physical resemblance, and he had similar political views (which we fought about a lot in my younger years) - and he died at about the same age from the same malady. So although I didn't think much of W when he was president, I totally related to him today.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:30 PM

7. My heart went out to him today

I cried when he 'gave out'

As much as I have lambasted him in the past, today that was all forgotten. He truly loved his dad and his dad loved him.

Maybe the fact a cold, heartless person like Trump has come on the scene puts things in perspective.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:36 PM

8. You can hate the biggest asshole in the world...

But still feel for him or her when they're in pain.

I cried today, too. Once when bush was at the end of the speech. The second time when they were carrying the casket out of the church and the band played "Hail to the Chief". For me, it was the last time we'll hear that for this particular president. It just got to me.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:56 PM

9. I've Hated Dubya In the Past

But today, my heart went out to him. I lost both my parents in the space of 18 months. I can't imagine losing both within 7 months.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread