HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Exclusive: Emails of top ...

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:29 PM

Exclusive: Emails of top NRCC officials stolen in major 2018 hack

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/04/exclusive-emails-of-top-nrcc-officials-stolen-in-major-2018-hack-1043309

The email accounts of four senior aides at the National Republican Congressional Committee were surveilled for several months, the party officials said. The intrusion was detected in April by an NRCC vendor, who alerted the committee and its cybersecurity contractor. An internal investigation was initiated and the FBI was alerted to the attack, said the officials, who requested anonymity to discuss the incident.

However, senior House Republicans including Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) were not informed of the hack until POLITICO contacted the NRCC on Monday with questions about the episode. Rank-and-file House Republicans were not told, either.

Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio), who served as NRCC chairman this past election cycle, did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Committee officials said they decided to withhold the information because they were intent on conducting their own investigation, and feared that revealing the hack would compromise efforts to find the culprit.

4 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Exclusive: Emails of top NRCC officials stolen in major 2018 hack (Original post)
Roland99 Tuesday OP
Tommy_Carcetti Tuesday #1
louis-t Tuesday #2
Yosemito Tuesday #3
underpants Tuesday #4

Response to Roland99 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:31 PM

1. Looks like someone wants to "keep them honest."

If you catch my drift.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:32 PM

2. Oh, maybe now they'll do something.

But I doubt it.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:36 PM

3. Putin not happy with his purchase?

Interesting.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:50 PM

4. Hillary's old server has become self aware

I can so see this being spun into an excuse for the Blue Wave.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread