HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why I think that DU was t...

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:30 AM

Why I think that DU was targeted on election day 2016.

I just read the Steele Dossier for the first time. I found the August 10th 2016 memo revealing.

I don't know how to cut and paste that snippet into DU, so I'll quote the line that stood out for me:

"...the ethnic Russian associate of TRUMP assessed that the problem was that the TRUMP campaign underestimated the strength of the negative reaction from liberals (emphasis added) and especially the conservative elite to Russian interference. This was forcing a rethink and likely change of tactics."

Analysis: So, by August 2016 there must have been liberal groups that were aware that there was Russian interference. I'm not sure who that might be, because I don't remember those discussions on DU. I do remember how there was infighting between Bernie Sanders groups and everyone else, which was a result the Russians were looking for. But I don't remember anyone claiming that the wedge was being stirred up by the Russians. However, this is tangential to my point.

The point is, that the Russians identified "liberal groups" as a problem by August 2016. It was a motive. That gave them more than enough time to work on shutting down DU on election day.

Another point: In August 2016, the Russians were especially concerned by the negative reaction of the conservative elite to Russian interference. Yet, we all know how that played out. The conservative elite in Congress have become Russia's best friend. So, what happened between August 2016 to the present? How did they buy Republicans in Congress?

Link to Steele Dossier:

https://www.scribd.com/document/369319684/The-Steele-Dossier

12 replies, 772 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:42 AM

1. THat was how I guessed it happened

The point is, that the Russian identified "liberal groups" as a problem by August 2016. It was a motive. That gave them more than enough time to work on shutting down DU on election day.

There was discussion here (DU) during the campaign of '16 regarding things being noticed: the republican platform being changed to be in favor of russia, trumpfts "russia, if you're listening" comment, maniforts ties, speculation on trumpfts financial ties to russia, to name a few. We didn't know the whole picture, but it was obvious something was going on. Plus, DU is very active during elections to call out suspicious behavior.

It was ominous, but also kind of flattering to be shut down that night. Who knew anyone was watching, or taking us seriously?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Merlot (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:45 AM

2. I know, right?

"Who knew anyone was watching, or taking us seriously?"

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:56 AM

6. I instantly thought this is how it happened....

I too was surprised at the fact they watched us so closely....

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:48 AM

3. Judging from the Putin sympathizers on here, they were watching.

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:56 AM

5. Yeah, I remember that.

I was surprised at the people who kept ardently defending Russia Today. It was weird.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:03 PM

8. If they took the MAGA knuckle draggers seriously

why wouldnít they take us seriously?

For all we know there were probably fake Bernie and Hillary followers creating all the fights on DU the entire time. This place was like a bloodbath during the primaries and the rage and bitterness still lingers sometimes.

Iím not claiming any DUer is a Russian troll. But many, if not most DUers get a lot of their information from outside sources. Itís a big part of our strength and we hold each other accountable for what we post by demanding links. But itís not possible to do that when people are expressing their emotions, and strong passions are ever present during Democratic primaries. Whoís to say some of that isnít manipulated by outside forces bent on creating disunity and schisms?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 11:55 AM

4. There was buzz about the dossier on twitter and on here.

We didn't know all the details, but I remember a thread linking to a twitter account discussing the information having been given to various media outlets but nobody wanting to run with it because they could not corroborate that information. Basically, knowing the claims but only as hearsay, and then trying desperately to find enough actual proof to report it before the clock ran out on November 6th.

Sadly, the clock ran out.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 12:03 PM

7. There were posts about bots and guccifer and berniebros/bots.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 01:21 PM

9. Was guccifer tied to the Russians back then?

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 01:33 PM

10. Just as with Mensch and Taylor, most weren't sure of what to think of their predictions.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 01:44 PM

11. Color me dubious

Other liberal sites would have been attacked as well. Daily Kos for example

My feeling is DU was hacked by a former (or current for that time) disgruntled DUer.

There was so much bitter contention at that time with the alert stalking and swarming, and then well, JPR (a so-called liberal group that may have been very well aware of Russian interference to the point of complicity)

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2018, 01:56 PM

12. If you look at any thread regarding the Wikileaks dumps/Guccifer hackings during the primaries....

....you'll see an inordinate amount of posters who are no longer active at DU or whose privileges were suspended.

I do think there was a concerted effort to depress the vote for Hillary here in the run up to the election from Russian entities, just as there was a concerted effort to soften opinion towards Russia during the 2014 Russia-Ukrainian crisis.

Do a DU specific search for Wikileaks or Guccifer 2.0 and you'll see a strange cast of characters who were here today and gone tomorrow.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread