HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mangled remains of Locker...

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:10 PM

Mangled remains of Lockerbie plane lie forgotten in a Lincolnshire scrapyard: 30 yrs later

Chilling images of the wrecked plane which blew apart over Lockerbie 30 years ago have emerged as the mangled metal still lays in a Lincolnshire scrapyard.

When a terrorist's explosive went off on December 21, 1988, 259 passengers and crew were killed as they flew in the Boeing 747 which was travelling from Frankfurt to Detroit, via New York and London.

Eleven residents of the small town were also killed by falling debris in the tragedy - which was caused by a bomb smuggled on board the plane in a suitcase and remains Britain's worst ever terror attack.

Many of the victims were American college students flying home for Christmas, including 35 Syracuse University students participating in a study abroad program.

I can remember being glued to the tv. The note to the little girl in the red dress. RIP

1 replies, 478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mangled remains of Lockerbie plane lie forgotten in a Lincolnshire scrapyard: 30 yrs later (Original post)
octoberlib Dec 3 OP
hlthe2b Dec 3 #1

Response to octoberlib (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:37 PM

1. poignant, but I think it would be worse if there was no longer any trace...

The Pacific is littered with the remains (of catastrophic events) from WWII... I once thought it strange to see the remains of down aircraft just off the (military access-only) beaches on Guam, as elsewhere. But, we do need reminders of history so as not to forget it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread