HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I simply can't imagine . ...

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 05:53 PM

I simply can't imagine . . . . .

. . . . . how black people felt when Barack Obama won the presidency. How they felt when he and Michelle danced at the inaugural balls to "At Last". I recall Jesse Jackson openly weeping at the very idea of the win. I can't imagine how John Lewis felt, after his years of struggle, after his beating at the hands of racists. The election of Barak Obama was, indeed, one for the ages.

This cycle I am hoping we can see the advance of what he started. I am hoping black people can prevail. Governors. Mayors. Representatives. County Clerks and school board. Top to bottom in the mainstream fabric of America.

I still can't imagine how black people will feel, but I know it has to be simply wonderful.

13 replies, 2585 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Stinky The Clown (Original post)

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 05:58 PM

1. I was thinking along those lines and think back to the '40s when I was a kid. The education people

of color have worked and strived for is really paying off. I am so happy for all of them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 05:58 PM

2. I want good people to be feeling wonderful

Color, sex, religion, doesn't matter.

And yes, after tRumps election there were a lot of arguing over Republicans being good people. For me they weren't when they voted for Palin, and over the past two years they have proven they are bad people.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 06:03 PM

3. I can not speak for all black folk.

But the feeling of corner turning with Barrak winning was a one time deal. The ugliness and disrespect shown to him followed by the election of an unqualified buffoon has left me unable to garner much enthusiasm for historic victories. We don't usually have these historic victories until things have good and well been run into the ground first.

Reply to this post

Response to Afromania (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 06:05 PM

5. Thanks for that.

As I said, I simply can't imagine.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 06:33 PM

6. Trump supporters celebrated their victory.

Trump supporters celebrated their victory.

"It turns out that United Russia won the elections in America," Viktor Nazarov, the governor of Omsk, Russia, declared in a radio interview.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/news/world/make-russia-great-again-if-trump-lifts-sanctions-putin-could-finally-establish-his-country-as-an-equal-to-u-s&pubdate=2016-12-03

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 06:36 PM

7. Nazis were emboldened by Trump's election

Trump "emboldened" the Nazis

America fought a war against the Nazis and supposedly won.

Yet here they are marching to "take back America".

" Michael Von Kotch, a Pennsylvania resident who called himself a Nazi, said the rally made him "proud to be white."

He said that he's long held white supremacist views and that Trump's election has "emboldened" him and the members of his own Nazi group. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fights-in-advance-of-saturday-protest-in-charlottesville/2017/08/12/155fb636-7f13-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.b54a0162fe07

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 07:00 PM

8. I cannot imagine the struggle that black people hve had just to get basic rights.

I was so angry when the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act, and, as anyone could have predicted, Republican states immediately did everything they could think of to suppress black votes. The Civil Rights Movement has been going on for decades (indeed centuries), and while many gains have been made the battle has not yet been won. I am cheering on Stacy Abrams and Andrew Gillum especially but also all the other black candidates (at least if they’re Democrats) who deserve their chance in the ring.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 07:33 PM

9. Me, too. I remember Jesse Jackson's tears, and having an inkling how black people must feel.

I couldn't really know personally, but I was so proud that our country elected that extraordinary man...his race had no meaning to me, although I was about to find out that the country did still have a racist group thriving in it like a cancer.

Oddly enough, I think Stacey Abrams' gender may be more of a problem in GA than her race, although both would cause some people not to vote for her. But I hope Georgians show up in full force and make it happen.

And if FL elects that Trumper idiot instead of Gillum, I don't know what to say about people who would do that to themselves. If Floridians show up, they can do it!

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 08:21 PM

12. In 1988, when the Rev. Jackson ran for president,

I attended a rally for him. The auditorium where he was speaking filled up immediately, so big TV screens were placed outside with speakers so that we could all see and hear him. I arrived just in time for his car to pull up. He stepped out of the vehicle and I swear that it felt like a wave of pure energy zapped through the crowd. It was amazing. I had never felt anything like it before. When people say that they felt "electricity" in the air, I now know what they mean.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 07:51 PM

10. Hoping the citizens of Georgia will feel this once again after we elect the 1st

African American Governor!!!

It will be a celebration like no other.

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 08:42 PM

13. I hope so too! Go Stacey!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2018, 07:54 PM

11. Here's a taste of it:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread