HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What billionaires want: t...

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:39 AM

What billionaires want: the secret influence of America's 100 richest

A new study reveals how the wealthy engage in ‘stealth politics’: quietly advancing unpopular, inequality-exacerbating, highly conservative policies.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/30/billionaire-stealth-politics-america-100-richest-what-they-want

Here is their 2nd article with more information:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/19/billionaires-wealth-richest-income-inequality

This is not a surprise, yet it is nice to see it in print.

20 replies, 1901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply What billionaires want: the secret influence of America's 100 richest (Original post)
Equinox Moon Oct 31 OP
ProfessorGAC Oct 31 #1
Equinox Moon Oct 31 #3
moose65 Oct 31 #4
ProfessorGAC Oct 31 #5
defacto7 Oct 31 #11
Equinox Moon Oct 31 #6
world wide wally Oct 31 #7
defacto7 Oct 31 #8
ProfessorGAC Oct 31 #13
defacto7 Oct 31 #17
ProfessorGAC Nov 1 #18
defacto7 Nov 1 #19
Wounded Bear Oct 31 #9
ProfessorGAC Oct 31 #14
Guy Whitey Corngood Oct 31 #2
Wounded Bear Oct 31 #10
PaulX2 Oct 31 #12
zentrum Oct 31 #15
Equinox Moon Oct 31 #16
DFW Nov 1 #20

Response to Equinox Moon (Original post)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:45 AM

1. The First Question I Have Is "Why?"

What is the motivation to promote inequality exacerbating policies when one already has more money than a 100 families could spend in a lifetime?

Especially among the moneyed elite that inherited their wealth. It's not like they had to work that hard to get rich.

The article is interesting and i think a lot of us already knew that, but i don't get the why of it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:53 AM

3. I agree the article does not call the disease of greed and power.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:55 AM

4. That's my question too

I've often wondered what the Koch brothers' motivation is. If I was in my 80s and was worth billions, I'd be out enjoying my last few years on earth instead of trying to influence elections to get more and more. You can't take it with you!

Reply to this post

Response to moose65 (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:57 AM

5. And Even If The Estate Tax Was Raised 25%. . .

. . .would any of their progeny suffer in the least. For 10 generations?

The accumulation has to become a contest or something, because, like you said, can't take it with you.

Reply to this post

Response to moose65 (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 09:49 AM

11. It depends on what your favorite pastime is.

Also if you are expecting a reward for your "good deeds" in the afterlife... need I say more?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 08:25 AM

7. The only thing that has no limits is greed

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 09:34 AM

8. Human nature

Reply to this post

Response to defacto7 (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:07 AM

13. Then How Do The Other Superrich Defeat "Human Nature"

Gates ain't doing it. Bezos ain't doing it. Steyer, and many others.

If it's human nature, then some people are not susceptible to human nature? How would that work?

If some people can resist the urge to try to remake society because they're superrich, and other cannot resist it, there is still a "why" to that effect.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #13)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 04:56 PM

17. Human nature is broad..

It doesn't mean 100% of the population are exacty the same. We have evolved psychologically and socially over many thousands of years. Some have begun to evolve away from, for instance, clan mentality and have begun to replace it with reasoning and empathy for all humans, not just those within their clan. Many have not. Many still promote clan survival through war and narrow ideologies at the cost of the rest of us just as humans have done for eons.

Much of human nature is genetic and it depends on what you've been dealt... like psychpathy. A psychopath is born without empathy and can't learn it. There was probably a time in the not too distant past when lack of empathy was the norm. Some of human nature is practiced. Through education and practice we evolve and even weed out the genetic traits we don't need anymore and add ones we do.

I guess a question to ask is what parts of our past do we practice getting rid of and what do we cultivate. It's a huge question in this time in the human race. Some have grown out of the worst of our nature, some have not, some still practice it.

Reply to this post

Response to defacto7 (Reply #17)

Thu Nov 1, 2018, 06:56 AM

18. That Seems Quite The Rationalization

Human nature isn't human nature except in some humans? Some people have evolved?

Sounds an awful lot like this is an excuse to be a greedy jerk.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #18)

Thu Nov 1, 2018, 11:52 AM

19. Nope. Just answering the question anthropologically.

The less than realistic rebuttal to my answer would be that we all have equal choices in life to choose our social behavour. That would be like there being some god out there that gives all humans the choice of good and evil in equal measure. I don't buy the religious view. The other non-answer is that we are all insect minded and have no choices in changing our behavior. I don't buy the insect view. I'll stick with the studies that show we have leverage within the boundaries of our individual genetic makeup.
But the seeds of human nature to survive and preserve our clan's DNA is in all of us and we have to fight to grow out of our less than desirable traits that at this point in history are counter productive to survival. Because of that individuality along with social condition and education, some find it harder to fight it, some have no desire to fight it and others have no clue that there's anything to fight. And then there are many who have no difficulty living an empathetic life at all.
Whether we like it or not, we are the product of our individual and collective history, but we're not limited to it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 09:39 AM

9. They think of themselves as the new nobility...

and they want a form of feudalism back, where if you're rich enough you can live in your own little principality, and the "King" is powerless to affect them.

Wealthy people (many of them) truly fear democracy, because they think that poor people will vote their wealth away.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:08 AM

14. And Despite 230 Years Of That Not Happening

If the masses didn't vote to take their wealth away in the 1890's it was never going to happen. Hence, it's unfounded fear, bordering on phobia.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 07:52 AM

2. Can't recommend this one enough! nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 09:47 AM

10. I'm going to say something unpopular here, but...

It isn't really the Citizens United decision that torpedoed our election system.

What really did it in was when Republicans killed the Senate bill requiring public disclosure of contributions to PACs. We could fix much of the dark money problem if we could do that, and I hope that is high on the priority list of the new Congress, assuming we win it.

Sure, I'd love to reverse the CU decisions, but Kavan-R kind of means that won't happen in this generation. But we could fix the dark money problem legislatively. It's being done in some blue states, I think my state has moved on that, but it should be done nationally.

After all, politics is public speech. Anonymity should not be a feature of it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:01 AM

12. They Are Raping Our Families And Convincing Us To Blame Immigrants - Anyone Else Notice?

Am I the only one?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:23 AM

15. But no one reads the Guardian

...in this country except us, the choir.

Reply to this post

Response to zentrum (Reply #15)

Wed Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 AM

16. This is the US Guardian

But I know what you mean, I don't know how many Americans read it.

I prefer reading their news. It is my #1 go-to aside from DU.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 1, 2018, 12:09 PM

20. I personally know two billionaires that are the opposite of that

And I know OF two others. I don't know how much they are worth cumulatively, but four billionaires on our side is a healthy chunk of net worth actively working with Democrats.

Lumping potential allies into one evil heap doesn't make us look too smart. Leave that to so-called "independents," and let's welcome wealthy allies afraid of neither taxes nor a Democratic Party they do NOT seek to control.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread