HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Irish Blasphemy Referendu...

Fri Oct 26, 2018, 06:40 PM

Irish Blasphemy Referendum and Presidential Election : Exit Poll

In a continuance of the efforts to modernise the Irish Constitution, the Repeal of the Blasphemy article is going to be a resounding Yes by 71 to 27%.

Also President Michael D. Higgins is going to be re-elected for another 7 year term, with 58% of the vote. The only downside is that 1 of the 3 Reality TV "stars" (I know, I know), Peter Casey, was on course to finish last, but last week caused consternation when he rejected Irish Travellers right to have their own ethnicity, taking a leaf from the Trump playbook. He came second on about 20% of the vote.

The only plus is that there was a low turnout nationally, so it was about 20% of 40% turnout, where as normally a General Election would bring 65% turnout.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1026/1006957-exit-poll-blasphemy-referendum/

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1026/1006954-presidential-exit-poll/

3 replies, 754 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Irish Blasphemy Referendum and Presidential Election : Exit Poll (Original post)
OnDoutside Oct 2018 OP
canetoad Oct 2018 #1
OnDoutside Oct 2018 #2
smirkymonkey Oct 2018 #3

Response to OnDoutside (Original post)

Fri Oct 26, 2018, 06:53 PM

1. Good

There is no need for blasphemy laws in the modern world (or the historic world for that matter).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to canetoad (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 01:52 AM

2. +1 Bit by bit we're getting through the crap bits of a Constitution that

was created in 1937, full of the comely maidens dancing at the crossroads, strict Catholic attitudes.

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Original post)

Sat Oct 27, 2018, 04:11 AM

3. That's a good thing!

Didn't even realize there were still blasphemy laws still in the books. Welcome to the 21st century!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread