HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Need advice

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 09:40 PM

Need advice

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the General Discussion forum).

While I was replacing the cover on the motherboard of my pellet stove starter, it sparked (yeah, I did not unplug it). It would no longer start. I brought it to a local pellet stove dealer - actually it's where I bought it. The service person checked the fuse and it was burned out. He gave me a new fuse and I brought it home- it did not start. He mentioned in passing that there may be another fuse in it when I originally spoke with him but I could not find it. I called the store and the person who answered stated that no one was available in the service area and that she can help me. I told her my situation and she looked up my info. I told her that the service guy indicated that there was another fuse- she said that my stove only had one fuse and that the service guy was confusing my stove with another.

I had no choice, I bought a new motherboard for $320 brought it home, installed it and it did not work. I was annoyed at that point and asked how much to have a technician come out. $250.00- I did not want to pay that since the system is pretty simple plug and play.

Later that night I took apart the back of the stove and did a more thorough look. Well, I found the other fuse- the one the original service tech said existed but the service person on the phone indicated didn't exist. I bought the new motherboard based on this inaccurate info.

Well, they do not do returns on electronic equipment- at least that is what they say on the receipt.

I feel like I have a valid case to get a refund since I made the decision to purchase based on bad info that they provided. It's a he said she said scenario.

Any opinion on the approach I should take to get a refund?

Additional info- the owner of this place is a real asshole. Back when I bought the stove, about 10 years ago the city inspector indicated that the installer (from this store) needed to do more work before he would approve it. I told the owner this and he started screaming at me in front of all of the other customers. He was basically shooting the messenger. I really did not want to go back to this place but it was convenient for what I thought would be an easy purchase.

5 replies, 1050 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Need advice (Original post)
bpositive Oct 2018 OP
3Hotdogs Oct 2018 #1
marble falls Oct 2018 #3
marble falls Oct 2018 #2
3Hotdogs Oct 2018 #4
DonViejo Oct 2018 #5

Response to bpositive (Original post)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:26 PM

1. Small claims court.

Depending on the jurisdiction and whether the defendant appears, you will be awarded full or half the amount. Less possible -- you get nothing but that is not likely. .

If you win, you have to pay the sheriff to collect.

Or, you can appeal to your state consumer protection office.... usually under the attorney general's office--- if your state has a consumer protection office.

Curious -- did you try to find the stove's manual online?

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 3Hotdogs (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:36 PM

3. I love small claims court and reccommend it to anyone. But I always go to the ...

other party to give them a chance to make it right first.

The supplier hasn't done anything wrong so far. But 3Hd made several goofs on his own.

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bpositive (Original post)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:30 PM

2. You're going to have to talk to the owner before you escalate ...

by going over his head. Not to point out the obvious: you opened it without unplugging it. You chose to take the word of someone other than the tech you started with.

What you need is to get the owner to embrace your problem. Forget your past from 10 years ago and approach the guy one on one so that he doesn't play to an audience and give hi your problem letting him know he can help you. One thing to keep in your mind is 99% of electronic parts that leave any shop are not returnable.

Sometimes its better to pay the service charge. Honestly: one $250 bill in 10 years for a service call is pretty reasonable.

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marble falls (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 24, 2018, 06:15 AM

4. I agree. Conversation first.

"What can you do for me on this? Restocking fee?

If you choose to pursue small claims court, start with a letter, certified, return mail in which you state the history and your attempt at resolution.

Include a copy of that letter in the small claim complaint.

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bpositive (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2018, 06:40 AM

5. Locking...

Wrong forum. The General Discussions Forum is for the discussion of politics, issues, and current events. Please post your comment in the DU Lounge

From the SOP of the General Discussions Forum:

Discuss politics, issues, and current events. Posts about Israel/Palestine, religion, guns, showbiz, or sports are restricted in this forum.

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink