HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This message was self-del...

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 09:46 AM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (left-of-center2012) on Tue Oct 23, 2018, 07:56 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

13 replies, 1106 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 09:53 AM

1. Something is missing from this story

When was the party scheduled for? How were invitations sent? When were they sent? Do these people have ties to any questionable orgs?

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:00 AM

2. "a few" people said they couldn't make it, and sounds like no one confirmed.

could have been an obvious conflict on that date. in any event, the date wasn't working out for the guest list, we reschedule when that happens, but then again, we're not sticklers for birthday parties being on the actual day of the birthday, any nearby weekend will do.

that said, i've been to some very poorly attended birthday parties....

in any event, i don't see this as "humiliating", at least not for the kid. at that age it's the parents who are making the decision, and it rarely reflects on the kid. i doubt very many didn't go specifically because their kid said no way am i going to that kid's party.

Response to unblock (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 AM

4. in any event

the kid did not have 1 friend that could make it? Usually, when planning for my daughter when she was young, I would contact the moms or dads of the kids I knew she was good friends with first and make sure the date was good for them as well.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:00 AM

3. Having held many a party for my kids... It's got to be timed right, a fun place, no party conflicts.

Plus, you have to have decent gift bags for the kids. Some parents throw in 50 cents of mixed candy in a bag.

That doesn't fly. After the first party, kids make decisions on whose party they'll attend based on the prior art.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:30 AM

5. I agree. There's probably more to the story.

And I guess I'm just a stick in the mud, but I think birthday parties have gotten way out of hand. When my kids were young, we'd have family parties, and then the birthday kid would often have some friends over for a sleepover.

Response to Rorey (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:16 AM

7. Looking at the age of that kid, 90% of them would only eat plain pizza, yet there is one plain pie.

There's got to be more.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:57 AM

6. 32 classmates. 32 birthdays. $20 per present, 3 hours of time equals $640 & 96 hours a year . . .

and that doesn't begin to account for what each parent would need to spend on their own child's "party".

My sister-in-law hosted a party for her 5 year old near the beginning of school. Must have been 20 kids there, and one or two parents with each. The kids played three different games, each with prizes for all. They did a craft, then decorated cookies. A "prehistoric pets" show followed, with a young woman gamely sharing a variety of exotic reptiles and bugs with the assembled children. We thought the full taco bar was the show stopper, but no, a clown brought out the cake, made in the shape of Buzz Lightyear.

As the parents left, I got the distinct impression many were positively livid, as the bar to which they would be compared had been placed so ridiculously high.

I feel for little Teddy, but I can't get over the idea many of these parents preferred not to go for their own financial well-being. They should have been more forthcoming with their regrets before the bash, but this scene will be played out 32 times.

It's this kind of profligate partying that makes high school prom, the culmination of all those years of excess, such a miserable experience for so many who don't want to compete in such a wasteful extravagance.

Response to Journeyman (Reply #6)

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 12:50 PM

9. Reminds me

Your anecdote about your sister-in-law's party made me think about holidays when my kids were little. My husband's sister and her husband used to go way over the top when it came to what was under their Christmas tree for their two girls. "Under the tree" actually extended across the whole room. It was ridiculous. Even if we could have afforded to give our kids gifts like that, we wouldn't have done so. We didn't go to visit them in the weeks before Christmas so that our own kids wouldn't see their extravagant display and consider themselves deprived by comparison.

I never got into that whole prom thing. I was asked. I declined. I never regretted it.

Pomp and circumstance are lost on me. I think I was born with an extra strong "frugal gene".

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:05 PM

10. Oh, it's financially and time abusive. My kids would only get a few group parties like that.

The rest would be at home or go to a local restaurant with one or two of their friends.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 05:44 PM

13. a lot of this is about social media . posting pics and showing off to the world

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:23 AM

8. bullshit.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 05:35 PM

11. Smells like a media stunt

ala balloon boy.

Tue Oct 23, 2018, 05:40 PM

12. it does seem like bs. i question whether anyone was even invited

if you are going to have a party like this you would make sure you got some confirmations first.