HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Am I paranoid?

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:07 PM

Am I paranoid?

Is it just me, or are there others who are noticing an increased number of Russians in their circle of contacts? Is it just that thing where you start noticing those things your attention has been alerted to? Or are there really more Russians around? I hate to sound like Iím a bigot, but I really am noticing this. I donít notice more Italians than before. Or Brits. Or Germans, Irish, or Chinese. But suddenly there are more Russians. Anyone else notice this?

8 replies, 1304 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Am I paranoid? (Original post)
Trueblue Texan Sep 2018 OP
obamanut2012 Sep 2018 #1
secondwind Sep 2018 #2
CentralMass Sep 2018 #3
MaryMagdaline Sep 2018 #4
PoindexterOglethorpe Sep 2018 #5
MissB Sep 2018 #6
democratisphere Sep 2018 #7
Raine Sep 2018 #8

Response to Trueblue Texan (Original post)

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:12 PM

1. no

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:14 PM

2. I notice more Russian-sounding names, in the news, on Twitter, Facebook and in the workplaces

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:22 PM

3. Nyet.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:35 PM

4. I live in South Florida so yes

They are not your typical immigrants. Ask them what they do/did for a living. No oneís a carpenter, car salesman, waiter, barber, tailor, teacher. The millionaires donít make anything or sell anything. They are just ĒconsultantsĒ and the like. The older Refusniks are real immigrants, brought high tech and high education. They work as professionals and regular people. The new bunch seem to have made their money in mysterious ways.

I met a few Russian hairdressers and one handyman/servant to a rich South American family. My best friends live next door to Russians who seem to have a manservant/Russian immigrant, very very poor. We suspect he is not getting paid because friendsí pool guy told him he was being exploited. Gets violently drunk, has no car. Russian owners went into 8 year bankruptcy and when the bank finally got the house and sold it on courthouse steps, the house was bought by another Russian, we think a relative. Donít know occupation of previous Russian owner or current Russian owner.

Ask any Cuban, Venezuelan, Argentinian, Italian, Israeli, etc. in South Florida youíll know exactly what work they did in the former country and what they do now, rich or poor. Russians? Not always knowable.

They donít have Russian social clubs, they donít sponsor trips to their country, they donít advocate for other Russians, they donít hold Russian musical or cultural events, they donít wear Russian football jerseys, they donít sell at the flea markets. Years of keeping out of the governmentís way? Fear of talking? Dislike of America?

Very, very interesting bunch.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 10:53 PM

5. Nope.

Several years ago I worked with a woman from Russia who'd come here for school, married an American, and is now a citizen. But I no longer work there and have lost touch with her.

No mysterious Russians have been showing up in my life.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 20, 2018, 11:06 PM

6. I only know one.

She immigrated here with her husband and young child, ended up divorcing him and marrying one of my coworkers. My coworker has traveled to Russia in the past year (her wifeís parents died so she traveled with her wife to Russia to settle the estate.)

Itís interesting to hear her wifeís perspective on Russian politics.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 21, 2018, 01:14 AM

7. I find there is far too much Russian influence in America,

specially with our putin hand picked so-called president drumpf. I also find myself speaking English with a Russian accent and having a craving for Stolichnaya Wodka straight up.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 21, 2018, 04:02 AM

8. I haven't come across any

I don't see or hear of any more of them then there always has been.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread