HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Botttom Line: If Manafort...

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 03:05 PM

Botttom Line: If Manafort had little to offer Mueller he would not have gotten this deal

Manafort is high on the food chain, the former campaign manager for Trump who secured his nomination and managed the National Republican Convention. If Manafort had nothing important to disclose against higher targets than himself, Meuller would have nailed his scalp to the wall, rather than bargain. The evidence was there to secure multiple convictions at trial. The plea deal would not have involved a guilty plea to only two charges if this wasn't a prelude to something bigger. Manafort had to first prove his value to Mueller's team moving forward before Mueller agreed to the terms of this deal. Clearly he has done so

4 replies, 472 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Botttom Line: If Manafort had little to offer Mueller he would not have gotten this deal (Original post)
Tom Rinaldo Sep 14 OP
empedocles Sep 14 #1
zipplewrath Sep 14 #2
Tom Rinaldo Sep 14 #3
lagomorph777 Sep 14 #4

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 03:12 PM

1. As MSNBC Legal Analyst was saying this morning

Prosecutors can never get enough evidence, The comments that Manafort had nothing or little to offer made no sense. Manafort may not be good witness material, but he knows a lot, can corroborate a lot.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 03:14 PM

2. Unfortunately

Prosecutors are always interested in avoiding a trial. It won't get you everything, but it usually can reduce the number of charges. But you also have to agree to a certain amount of cooperation with other cases.

Reply to this post

Response to zipplewrath (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 03:21 PM

3. I offer no hard evidence

but it is my growing conviction that Mueller knows exactly where this probe fits in the arc of U.S. history - and is motivated accordngly. It is of a vastly different scale than anything Kenneth Starr was ever after. If nothing else Trump tried to take down the U.S. intelligence and national security apparatus. I don't get the sense of Mueller now looking to wrap up, more that he is reloading and he now has more powerful ammunition to use for the final hunt.

Reply to this post

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Reply #3)

Fri Sep 14, 2018, 03:23 PM

4. "not wrapping up - reloading" - Yup, this is the arc of history and Mueller knows he has to succeed

or his country is gone.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread