HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » US transferring 1,500 sol...

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 12:29 PM

US transferring 1,500 soldiers to Germany

Despite repeated bluster from US President Donald Trump about NATO, the US will increase its presence in Germany. Germany has welcomed the move as a commitment to the defense of Europe.

The move, while not a major increase percentage-wise, is a strong signal of the US support for the NATO alliance.

The US Army's European headquarters in, near Frankfurt, said the new troops would be permanently stationed as "a display of our continued commitment to NATO and our collective resolve to support European security. The addition of these forces increases US Army readiness in Europe and ensures we are better able to respond to any crisis."

Ambassador Grenell said: "Americans are committed to strengthening the transatlantic alliance and President Trump's promise to increase US defense capabilities means the alliance is stronger today." German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen said: "The US decision to increase the military presence here in Germany is a welcome sign of the vitality of the transatlantic relationship and a commitment to our joint security," she said.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-transferring-1500-soldiers-to-germany/a-45404469

13 replies, 767 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 12:36 PM

1. As long as the orange menace occupies government is in power Europe needs to take care of their own.

The United States has become a protection racket run by organized crime.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gordianot (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 02:42 PM

5. Oh, please. Drop the gun, keep the cannoli, gordianot,

if you really think you're a citizen of an organized crime mob instead of our democracy.

Obama's talking right now in California. Don't expect him to sign up for whiny, defeatist, surrender-before-anyone-even-asks notions. He doesn't.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 04:30 PM

12. Obama and his chosen 2016 candidate are not in the Oval Office.

Fortunately those who believe in ideals stayed true to their core beliefs which partially led to Donald Trump. Given what we have now everyone is being tested including Obama. Who would have thought two years NATO and Canada would be called a threat by an American administration; which in turn is at war with itself internally. Donald Trump is a mobster, Obama is correct labeling the Trump administration crazy. The only remedy for Trump is what got us into this mess, it appears to me Obama understands that and is why he came out of retirement.

Reply to this post

Response to gordianot (Reply #12)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 05:02 PM

13. Who would have, indeed? But note that you and I

still are free to call out the criminals who have been legally voted into office. This is huge. We are not fearfully obedient peons in an authoritarian state controlled by a criminal gang. Our democratic republic still stands.

Obama always intended to begin campaigning against Republicans, after the primary season. What got us into this mess is all the feckless and inexcusably foolish people who empowered the right, effectively ceding their power to Trump, by not voting for the only candidate who could beat him. So, yes, he's here once again, as in 2016, to GOTV, youth vote especially.

Can you believe only 1 in 5 voted in 2016? Unbelievable.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 12:38 PM

2. My daughter was stationed in Baumholder back in Feb

She’d been at Ft Bragg

Went from armpit to being hours away from amazing destinations

And has much better leadership there, too.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 01:20 PM

3. I wonder does the military think the orange maggot is an idiot and are acting own tbeir own?

Putin does not want more US military presence in Europe so this move tells me the mi,tiara is giving a middle finger to the puppet and his puppet master.

Reply to this post

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #3)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 02:24 PM

4. Fifteen hundred is symbolic, not substantive

Putin will grumble in public, laugh in private. Von der Leyen will cheer in public, grumble in private.

Like everything else with Trump, this is for show. His ambassador to Germany remains a dork, and there's no one here in Germany that doesn't know it.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #4)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 02:51 PM

6. Sorry to hear that informed viewpoint, DFW.

1500 is certainly small compared to the more than 33,000 I read we already have there. Would it be just the same if no mostly symbolic gesture of support for NATO were made?

I'm wondering who was actually behind this, since of course Trump is not capable of making this kind of decision on his own.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #6)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 03:13 PM

8. Since it will make no strategic difference, and little economic difference

I can only assume it was for a few headlines that were convenient for somebody who thinks they were convenient.

Who was behind it? I wouldn't begin to venture a guess. The percentage of Trumpanzees in positions of influence who think he is in dire need of some non-negative headlines has to be near 100%, so it could be any of them.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #8)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 03:23 PM

9. Convenient headlines subverting Trump's own policy?

Perhaps Minister Ursula von der Leyen, who 'called the new deployments "a welcome sign of the vitality of transatlantic relations" and "a commitment to common security," ' arranged it with some of those people who claim to be usurping Trump's authority.

Whatever My tendency is to assume Trump doesn't like this. Little symbolic gestures are emphatically not his style. "Weak!" "Our generals are stupid!"

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #6)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 03:48 PM

10. "I'm wondering who was actually behind this"

Maybe James Mattis, current United States Secretary of Defense and a former United States Marine Corps general who served as the 11th Commander of United States Central Command during the Presidency of Barack Obama ?

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #10)

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 03:58 PM

11. Seems likely.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2018, 03:05 PM

7. Maybe these smaller numbers come from

Memos written by the Resistance Within, and slipped onto Donnie's PlaySkool desk for him to scribble on (sign).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread