HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » McCain "the use of tortur...

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 10:35 PM

McCain "the use of torture compromises that which most distinguishes us from our enemies..."

Last edited Sat Sep 1, 2018, 01:45 AM - Edit history (1)

This Is How a Prisoner of War Feels About Torture

"I know from personal experience that the abuse of prisoners will produce more bad than good intelligence. I know that victims of torture will offer intentionally misleading information if they think their captors will believe it. I know they will say whatever they think their torturers want them to say if they believe it will stop their suffering."

McCain added (emphatically) that "the use of torture compromises that which most distinguishes us from our enemies, our belief that all people, even captured enemies, possess basic human rights."

C-SPAN Video (McCain's comments start at 2:25:00)

"The truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. It sometimes causes us difficulties at home and abroad. It is sometimes used by our enemies to hurt us. But the American people are entitled to it, nonetheless. They must know when the values that define our nation are intentionally disregarded by our security policies, even those policies that are conducted in secret. They must be able to make informed judgements..."

I haven't found a specific quote from McCain expressing regret for his 2008 support for Bush's veto of the bill banning torture within the intelligence services, but given his comments in 2014, I think it might be safe to say he regretted his failure to stand up for the ban.

4 replies, 333 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply McCain "the use of torture compromises that which most distinguishes us from our enemies..." (Original post)
pat_k Aug 31 OP
PaulX2 Aug 31 #1
greyl Aug 31 #2
pat_k Sep 1 #3
greyl Sep 1 #4

Response to pat_k (Original post)

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 10:41 PM

1. Taking The Children Is Torture

McCain would know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pat_k (Original post)

Fri Aug 31, 2018, 10:50 PM

2. Since when have broad "human rights" been a Republican ideal?

If only John were a Democrat in the seventies, he would have been a great one in his eighties.
He fell in with the wrong crowd back home.

Reply to this post

Response to greyl (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 1, 2018, 01:44 AM

3. Yep.

Where people came down on torture was defining. I just wanted to highlight that he was one of the few Republicans that came down on the side of the values the "greatest generation" fought for... even if his anti-torture stance wasn't strong enough in 2008 for him to condemn Bush for vetoing the torture ban. His moral compass may have been off, but at least he had one.

Reply to this post

Response to pat_k (Reply #3)

Sat Sep 1, 2018, 01:46 AM

4. right on. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread