HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My take on the Manafort t...

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 03:35 PM

My take on the Manafort trial.

I think we can all agree this case is extraordinary, and the outcome will be a landmark decision. In spite of the judge’s personality quirks, I am choosing to believe he is not compromised. We now know he’s received threats; there are people out there trying to intimidate him. He’s keping the names of jurors sealed for their protection.

The jury. I’ve sat on a jury and know it can take awhile to process multiple counts. This case is complex with 400 pages of documents. I am choosing to believe that the jury members are aware of the importance of this case and are taking their responsibilities seriously, going through each charge and supporting testimony/documents individually. That can take some time. I would be concerned if they finish too quickly.

I expect a verdict on Tuesday, mixed verdict on the charges.

12 replies, 1347 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply My take on the Manafort trial. (Original post)
Claritie Pixie Aug 2018 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Aug 2018 #1
Raven Aug 2018 #4
Claritie Pixie Aug 2018 #5
PJMcK Aug 2018 #2
Claritie Pixie Aug 2018 #6
marylandblue Aug 2018 #3
SWBTATTReg Aug 2018 #7
fallout87 Aug 2018 #8
janx Aug 2018 #9
Grammy23 Aug 2018 #10
MaryMagdaline Aug 2018 #11
Pachamama Aug 2018 #12

Response to Claritie Pixie (Original post)

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 03:44 PM

1. I hope you're right, and Welcome to DU, Claritie Pixie!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 03:47 PM

4. I agree with you except I think it will be Wednesday.n/t

Reply to this post

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:01 PM

5. Thank you! Nice to meet you CaliforniaPeggy!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 03:44 PM

2. Wise thoughts

You expressed yourself well, Claritie Pixie. Thanks for that.

I'm not sure the case is extraordinary since the DOJ brings financial charges against individuals all the time. Of course, not all of the targets were the president's campaign chairman.

The extraordinary element that I'll concede is that the jury members must know the profundity of this case. Accordingly, I think they will bring logic and reason to reach an unbiased determination.

Personally, I concur with your guesstimation of a mixed verdict. Out of 18 charges, I'm betting 8 to 11 convictions.

It might take until Wednesday or Thursday, though.

Keep posting.

Reply to this post

Response to PJMcK (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:04 PM

6. Will do!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 03:45 PM

3. I knew OJ would be found not guilty when the jury only deliberated a few hours

You don't sentence someone to life in prison or death without carefully looking at everything.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:07 PM

7. Nice summary! Thanks. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:09 PM

8. I agree

The judge has been known to act as he did throughout his career. This is a high profile case, so of course it received national attention.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:10 PM

9. I agree with you.

The jury seems to be handling this carefully. The questions they have asked seem normal.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:23 PM

10. Given the amount of documentation in this case -- hundreds of pages --

Associated with 18 counts against the defendant, it behooves the jury to carefully consider the evidence and the testimony before rendering a verdict. It is a pretty big damn deal to decide someone has committed crimes worthy of a life sentence. I hope they will take their time and make their decision on facts presented and not just gut feelings. It is what we’d want for ourselves if we were in Manafort’s custom made moccasins.

As for we the public, we probably have more tid bits that we know about all of this than the jury has so we are anxious to see justice prevail. But it has to play itself out and we must be patient — even if we do want to get this show on the road. We’ve waited this long. We can wait a few more days to find out the verdict. Sigh.....I confess I was hoping we’d get a prize for our Friday news dump. And we’d get to see Rachel’s hair in flames!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 06:09 PM

11. My thoughts -handled 70 plus jury trials; 11 criminal

The jury is getting along well. They bonded together to get out at 5:00. They decided to come back on Monday because they have work to do. If they wanted to get out by end of this week they would have rushed it to a conclusion.

If there was major dissension something would have come out ... some juror feigning illness, some juror saying he/she is being bullied.

I believe they are doing their job so that they can sign off in good conscience.

This is not a lazy jury. Of all traits in this world that attest to character, diligence is one of the highest.

Not a bum jury. Not a bum verdict. Justice will win in this case.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 06:28 PM

12. While I agree with all you said, I am afraid that some jurors may have been also threatened

It doesn’t matter that their names are sealed. They are not sequestered- and it would not be hard if someone wanted to identify them and determine where they live etc.

I personally tho k this should be an open and shut case with a guilty verdict on atleast half or more of the charges. But I have a really bad feeling.

The forces at work want to stop and interfere in anything that will get close to the truth being exposed and getting close to Donald Trump and Russians.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread