HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Un-Celebrity Presiden...

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 11:54 AM

The Un-Celebrity President

A very nice portrait of Jimmy Carter these days.

When Carter looks back at his presidency, he says he is most proud of “keeping the peace and supporting human rights,” the Camp David accords that brokered peace between Israel and Egypt, and his work to normalize relations with China. In 2002, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts.

“I always told the truth,” he says.

Carter has been notably quiet about President Trump. But on this night, two years into Trump’s term, he’s not holding back.

“I think he’s a disaster,” Carter says. “In human rights and taking care of people and treating people equal.”

“The worst is that he is not telling the truth, and that just hurts everything,” Rosalynn says.

Carter says his father taught him that truthfulness matters. He said that was reinforced at the U.S. Naval Academy, where he said students are expelled for telling even the smallest lie.

“I think there’s been an attitude of ignorance toward the truth by President Trump,” he says.

Carter says he thinks the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision has “changed our political system from a democracy to an oligarchy. Money is now preeminent. I mean, it’s just gone to hell now.”

More:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2018/08/17/feature/the-un-celebrity-president-jimmy-carter-shuns-riches-lives-modestly-in-his-georgia-hometown/?utm_term=.4983c9032a5a

4 replies, 896 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Un-Celebrity President (Original post)
Ohiogal Aug 2018 OP
Crutchez_CuiBono Aug 2018 #1
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Aug 2018 #2
Totally Tunsie Aug 2018 #3
TEB Aug 2018 #4

Response to Ohiogal (Original post)

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 11:59 AM

1. Good MORNING JIMMY! Just waking up?

You were a saint compared to this guy. Literally. Use your voice Jimbo. use your voice. Sound off.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 08:19 PM

2. In contrast to Blimpie Trump

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 17, 2018, 09:44 PM

3. Just read this on MSN, and was delighted by it.

Re tRump:

“I think he’s a disaster,” Carter says. “In human rights and taking care of people and treating people equal.”

“The worst is that he is not telling the truth, and that just hurts everything,” Rosalynn says.

That's about as bad as it gets from two gentle people with compassionate hearts.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 19, 2018, 07:11 AM

4. Jimmy carter

Is a loving human

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread