HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fellow white people: we ...

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 09:04 PM

Fellow white people: we need some practice in saying " That's racist bullshit!"

Very few of us will be confronted by someone screaming the N-word or other overtly offensive racial perjoratives. But, those people and those comments are relatively rare. We need to be attuned to the more subtle examples of racism; the dog-whistles and the winks and nods.

I will not list examples of these less blatant racist remarks because any such list would be less than the tip of the iceberg and, please, you know the kind of nasty crap I'm talking about. But, can we agree that if we hear these racist remarks and "let them pass" unchallenged, we are participants in their racism and,in a real sense, no better than they are. Our silence enables their ignorance.

It may take some practice. Saying "That's racist bullshit!" is the easy part. How will you handle their response to that? My advice is that you refuse to "discuss" whether their remark was racist. It WAS or you would not have called them on it. If they deny it, state emphatically that "of course" it was racist, but you understand why they don't want to admit it because "all decent people understand that racism is shameful and ignorant and I believe you are a decent person." And, then, if you are able to, say "Look, I've said similar things. Most white people have at some point in their lives. But, it is wrong; it is mean and unfair and it is harmful to everyone. It's got to stop."

After me----"That's racist bullshit!,"

9 replies, 719 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Atticus (Original post)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 09:44 PM

1. Yes we do. Also- that's sexist bullshit would be nice too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bettyellen (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 09:48 PM

2. And homophobic bullshit. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Atticus (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:31 PM

4. True. I've been disappointed by people claiming they didn't want to alienate people. I'm like, WHAT

Are you happy to alienate yourself from the base- because thatís whatís happening. After 2016 I cannot be polite about it.

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

5. You hit the nail on the head with a sledge hammer. Thanks. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Atticus (Reply #5)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:52 PM

7. I feel like we have never been more powerful yet the media parrots these narratives

About dissary and still with the shrill women- like a mom scolding you!- someone said that to me about Warren when people were discussing a Warren/ Sanders ticket...
and when I pointed out how ironic and sexist it was to say that, they blamed the media. Told them
if youíre parroting sexist crap itís on you, period. Iíve had enough of that from Republicans, not listening to it from self described progressives. Nope.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:30 PM

3. Now you're talking. Listen up, people.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:51 PM

6. I take your point. And agree in a sense.

But I try to be more subtle. First, realize I do not socialize with blatantly racist people.

But being southern I do occasionally socialize with conservatives who rail against big government but will deny being racist till the cows come home.

I have a method that works for me and has actually been somewhat effective. A few times.

I state in no uncertain terms that southern whites, their grand parents and great grandparents, were FDRs biggest supporters because his programs helped lift the south out of the endemic poverty that effected all its citizens. And I give examples beyond SS and minimum wage like the TVA and REA. They rarely disagree. Then I tell them that began to change in the mid sixties. And ask they if they know why. They never do. Then the dagger to the heart. I tell them that is when blacks were given the same protections and whites started fleeing the Democratic Party. And then I stop. And let them figure it out.

Cause that is what worked with me. If they are conscious racist it will never work. But many were like I used to be. Never told the whole story and raised in the Reagan bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 10:58 PM

8. I defer to your knowledge of your community. Whatever works. Thanks for your suggestion.

Everyone has to respond in a way that they are comfortable with. I did not mean to impose a script on anyone. thanks

Reply to this post

Response to Atticus (Reply #8)

Fri Aug 10, 2018, 11:07 PM

9. I meant no criticism.

But there are some Trump voters who are not Trump fanatics. And they are reachable without us having to water down our values. Some, not a majority by any means.

I do not expect them to have a total road to Damascus change like I did. Although that would be nice. But just get them thinking.

Nixonís southern strategy worked better than he ever imagined. And LBJ underestimated the time it would take to win back the south after the Civil Rights Act. If we ever can.

And I must reiterate, this will not work on a sad majority of Republican trump supporters. But we just need a few. And a few of my friends(only 2 actually) have seen the light.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread