HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Louisiana to give $700K t...

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:46 PM

Louisiana to give $700K to schools run by a "prophet" who also runs a school for "prophets".

Provide Over $700,000 Per Year To School Led by “Prophet, Apostle.” 22

Meet Leonard Lucas, a former, one-term Louisiana State Representative and erstwhile candidate for New Orleans City Council...when Leonard Lucas isn’t butchering the English language, he’s busy trying to convince people that he’s an “apostle” and a “prophet.“

Mr. Lucas is also the proud owner and registered agent of at least three dozen different companies, the overwhelming majority of which are non-profits (or, to borrow a term from my friend Dambala, “con-profits”) listed as “Not in Good Standing” by the Louisiana Secretary of State.

And all of this apparently qualifies Mr. Lucas for nearly $700,000 a year in public voucher funding for his school...Quoting from his church’s “School of Prophets” website, which, as a reader pointed out to me, should not be confused with his Light City Academy webpage (even though both are hosted on the same domain and both appear to be organized under the same 501c3, Light City Church):

The Light City Church School of the Prophets is a training institute for those who sense the flow and pull of the prophetic upon their lives. The mandate of the school of the Prophets just as it was in the Old Testament days is to train men and women effectively in the prophetic...

And quoting from the school’s webpage (which, again, is built into the church’s website)...:

Light City Christian Academy is a small school located in inner-city New Orleans. Students may begin as early as age five in kindergarten and continue their studies until the completion of High School. We have a·90% success rate of our graduates continuing higher studies in Universities across the state. We are a state approved private school.

Apparently, upcoming events at Light City Christian Academy include catechism classes and “School of the Prophets” training...

Governor Jindal and Superintendent White have, effectively, provided Light City Christian with the taxpayer funding necessary to nearly triple its enrollment, and that’s just in Year One. If all goes according to plan, Light City Christian Academy will expand its enrollment much more dramatically, from only fifty-three students to well over 200, an expansion that will be paid for and brought to you, almost entirely, by taxpayer funding...

http://cenlamar.com/2012/08/07/shocking-bobby-jindals-vouchers-will-provide-over-600000-per-year-to-school-led-by-prophet-apostle/

6 replies, 1466 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Louisiana to give $700K to schools run by a "prophet" who also runs a school for "prophets". (Original post)
HiPointDem Aug 2012 OP
FSogol Aug 2012 #1
Dr. Strange Aug 2012 #2
rurallib Aug 2012 #4
louis-t Aug 2012 #3
hifiguy Aug 2012 #5
Liberal Veteran Aug 2012 #6

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:47 PM

1. I think you spelled "Profit" wrong.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:49 PM

2. Oh, good.

You don't see many college students majoring in prophecy anymore. The drop in enrollment seemed to catch a lot of Prophecy Departments off guard, which is disturbing if you think about it.

Reply to this post

Response to Dr. Strange (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 02:20 PM

4. wouldn't a Prophecy Department see it coming?

by definition?

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 01:59 PM

3. How long has this 'church/school' been in existence?

So they're saying 9 out of 10 (literally) that have graduated in the last 2 years went on to college? Prove it.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 02:29 PM

5. May as well take that $700k and tear it into confetti

and fling it around at Mardi Gras. It would do more good.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 8, 2012, 02:37 PM

6. Obviously, I am in the wrong business.

Who wants to go in on my "The Wisdom of Foolishness Academy of Exceptional Mediocrity"?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread