HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The G-Man Fights Back: Pe...

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 09:14 PM

The G-Man Fights Back: Peter Strzok Zaps His Republican Inquisitors

In recent months, Donald Trump and some of his Republican supporters on Capitol Hill have seized on Peter Strzok—the senior F.B.I. agent who, in 2016, led the Bureau’s investigations of Hillary Clinton’s e-mail practices and of Russian interference in the Presidential election—as if he represented some kind of get-out-of-jail-free card for the President.

Practically every day, Trump attacks Strzok on Twitter, depicting his role in the Russia probe as proof it was a “Witch Hunt” from the get-go. Last week, Republican officials from the House Judiciary Committee and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee questioned Strzok—pronounced “Struck”—for more than eleven hours in a private session. And on Thursday, the Republican members of the two committees sought to put him on the griddle before the cameras in a joint hearing, only to discover that messing with G-men can be dangerous. It was they and their President who got burned.

On the face of things, Strzok was in an invidious position: having to defend a series of text messages he sent to the woman with whom he was having an affair—Lisa Page, an F.B.I. attorney at the time—in which he repeatedly bemoaned the prospect of a Trump victory and vowed it wouldn’t happen. After Trump took office, Strzok had been part of the special counsel Robert Mueller’s team investigating Russian interference in the election—but he was reassigned after Mueller found out about the texts. Trump and the Republicans have been crowing about these messages for months, and the South Carolina congressman Trey Gowdy, the first Republican to get a crack at Strzok on Thursday, went straight to one from July 21, 2016, in which Strzok said, “Trump is a disaster. I have no idea how destabilizing his presidency would be.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-g-man-fights-back-peter-strzok-zaps-his-republican-inquisitors

Peter Strzok might bot be the hero America deserves but he's the hero it needs.

3 replies, 536 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply The G-Man Fights Back: Peter Strzok Zaps His Republican Inquisitors (Original post)
DemocratSinceBirth Jul 12 OP
LuckyLib Jul 12 #1
miyazaki Jul 12 #2
Gothmog Jul 12 #3

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 09:27 PM

1. He was doing what millions of us were doing -- expressing shock and dismay that the

Orange Julius could ever get elected. Many of us were sharing our freak out with friends and family. But we didn't do it on a work email system, and we weren't FBI. So dumb!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 09:56 PM

2. Strzok Lightning burned their asses. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 11:15 PM

3. From my twitter feed

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread