HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I thought trump secured t...

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:13 PM

I thought trump secured the return? North Korea snubs US, skips meeting on returning soldier remains

What? Trump Lied Again?

June 15, 2018 - Trump: North Korea Starts Returning Remains of US Soldiers
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/06/15/trump-north-korea-starts-returning-remains-us-soldiers.html

July 12, 2018 - North Korea snubs US, skips meeting on returning soldier remains

Washington (CNN)North Korean officials did not show up to a planned meeting with US officials at the demilitarized zone Thursday, where they were expected to continue discussions on repatriating the remains of Americans killed during the Korean War, a senior US official tells CNN.

There was no call or explanation from North Korean officials on why they skipped the meeting.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo ignored a question about the apparent snub when asked by reporters traveling with him in Brussels on Thursday.

The development is likely to fuel growing skepticism over North Korea's commitment to a complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula as promised during last month's meeting between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Singapore.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/12/politics/north-korea-us-soldier-remains/index.html

5 replies, 346 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I thought trump secured the return? North Korea snubs US, skips meeting on returning soldier remains (Original post)
spanone Thursday OP
Proud Liberal Dem Thursday #1
gratuitous Thursday #2
Cha Thursday #3
dawg Thursday #4
Golden Raisin Thursday #5

Response to spanone (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:15 PM

1. "growing skepticism"?

The summit was a farce and we called it at the time and, since virtually nobody was privy to the discussions between Trump and Kim, we still don't know the full extent of it yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:20 PM

2. "Pompeo ignored a question about the apparent snub"

Well, I guess that's that. We'll never know what happened or if someone screwed up or if the North Koreans shined us on or what. The question got asked, Pompeo ignored it, end of story. Apparently.

I wonder how the families of the missing feel about Trump's premature announcement and this utter failure just four weeks later? Probably no way to find that out, either.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:24 PM

3. So Kim Un snared trump in..

and cut bait.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:29 PM

4. This has to be a huge disappointment for ...

all those grieving centenarian parents.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:05 PM

5. I'd say not showing up is definitely an "apparent snub".

I guess that's the "civil" (so much in the news lately) or "diplomatic" way of putting it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread