HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Everything known about

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 10:29 AM

Everything known about

every artist recognized in a museum such as this should have a biography with all pertinent facts of her/his life. I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/12/artist-rape-rapist-artemisia-gentileschi-metoo-national-gallery

2 replies, 503 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Everything known about (Original post)
heaven05 Jul 2018 OP
Hoyt Jul 2018 #1
heaven05 Jul 2018 #2

Response to heaven05 (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 11:07 AM

1. That article is interesting. I do think a artist's background helps one understand or appreciate

their work, but it is not necessary for all works of art. A sunset can be beautiful, even if painted by a Nazi. But I'd darn sure want to know that little tidbit before purchasing a print and hanging in my house.

But other works -- like Gentileschi's in the article -- definitely require knowledge of her background to appreciate.

Unfortunately, I've not really studied very many artists to appreciate their work in the context of their life beyond what might happen at an art show -- for example, paintings by prisoners, depression era poor, civil rights activists, famous people, and a bunch more.

Really did enjoy the article, and hope to spend some time someday reading biographies of artists I like.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hoyt (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:03 PM

2. good to see

an honest opinion

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread