HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Watergate reporter: we ar...

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 11:56 PM

Watergate reporter: we are becoming different because of Trump and it will change American Story

Watergate reporter warns we are becoming different people because of Trump and it will change the American story

During a discussion about President Donald Trump’s NATO meetings this week, veteran newsman Carl Bernstein spoke eloquently about the American story and the impending “cold civil war” that the country faces.

“Donald Trump is sucking is oxygen out of the American story,” Bernstein told CNN’s Don Lemon. “He is taking the American story and saying, ‘We are going to turn our backs not just on the last 75 years at home and abroad, really on the last 250 years. We are becoming a different kind of person because of his conduct of the president, different kind of country because of his conduct of the presidency.”

He explained that it clearly is about changing the narrative about what the U.S. stands for on civil rights and civil liberties, but also on immigration and not celebrating our president as a king.

“The idea in the democratic process, in which no one is above the law, the rule of law, he is sucking the oxygen out of our very history,” he continued. “It might well be what 40, 50 percent of the people in this country want, and we’ll find out in the midterms. But the Democrats have to fight back if they want to succeed and say, ‘This is not the American story Mr. President. The last 250 years in particular, the last 75 years, America leading the world and Democracy, that’s the story.'”

Includes video of the Bernstein interview with Don Lemon: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/watergate-reporter-warns-becoming-different-people-trump-will-change-american-story/

6 replies, 727 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Watergate reporter: we are becoming different because of Trump and it will change American Story (Original post)
Rhiannon12866 Jul 11 OP
elleng Jul 12 #1
Rhiannon12866 Jul 12 #4
Iliyah Jul 12 #6
Iliyah Jul 12 #2
elleng Jul 12 #5
NY_20th Jul 12 #3

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:02 AM

1. He's right.

'We are becoming a different kind of person because of his conduct of the president, different kind of country because of his conduct of the presidency.” '

And I HATE it. My grandchildren will never know the United States of America.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:06 AM

4. I think we all feel that way, but hearing it from Carl Bernstein makes it real

I think about the amazing history of this country and it actually makes me feel ill. Just listening to the news these days is surreal. I can't believe this is still allowed to go on - and it gets worse every day.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:09 AM

6. Yes they will, teach history to them if need be.

It was taught to me by my grandfather and his friends.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:03 AM

2. The Republican congress is allowing this

Vote them out.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:08 AM

5. Yes. They are ALL traitors.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:05 AM

3. He is changing the narrative, and it's frightening.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread