HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who still thinks Pope Fra...

Tue Jun 19, 2018, 07:28 AM

Who still thinks Pope Francis is a liberal?

Pope Francis: Gay couples can’t make real families and abortions are like the Holocaust
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/17/pope-francis-gay-couples-family-abortions-holocaust/

It had been hoped that the Pope was in the process of softening the Catholic Church’s position on LGBT rights, particularly as it was just last month that he told Juan Carlos Cruz, a gay survivor of sexual abuse by a prominent Chilean priest: “God made you like this and loves you like this and I don’t care.” 

However, during unscripted remarks at Forum delle Famiglie, an Italian group for Catholic families, he closed the door on the idea of same-sex couples forming a family within the Church.

“It is painful to say this today: People speak of varied families, of various kinds of family,” but “the family [as] man and woman in the image of God is the only one,” he said, according to ANSA News Agency.

The leader of the Catholic Church also compared abortion of seriously ill foetuses to the Holocaust, saying: “In the last century, the entire world was scandalised by what the Nazis did to ensure the purity of the race.

“Today we do the same, but with white gloves.”

4 replies, 745 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Who still thinks Pope Francis is a liberal? (Original post)
Odoreida Jun 19 OP
dembotoz Jun 19 #1
vi5 Jun 19 #2
Bettie Jun 19 #3
Mc Mike Jun 19 #4

Response to Odoreida (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2018, 07:35 AM

1. better than others

which is a mighty low bar....but still
better than others

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 19, 2018, 07:50 AM

2. Of all the times I'm told on here to not make perfect the enemy of the good....

....regarding politicians and people who actually have power and the ability to change and affect things that impact my life.......Pope Francis is the least of my worries and anyway he's much better than pretty much everyone who came before him. At least he seems to care somewhat about social justice and poverty and other things liberals are supposed to care about.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2018, 07:52 AM

3. Not a liberal

but better than the ones before him.

He represents a small (very small in some areas) step forward in a few areas.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 19, 2018, 08:51 AM

4. I'm a catholic, but you're more right than Pope F on LGBT rights and abortion.

I'm sorry.

We're working on it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread