HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Clinton campaign chief sa...

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 09:28 AM

Clinton campaign chief says there is 'good evidence' Comey blew the election for Democrats

Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman on Thursday excoriated fired FBI Director James Comey, saying there is “good evidence” that his actions in the final days of the 2016 presidential campaign “blew the election” for Democrats.

“I’m not going to defend Jim Comey. I criticized him from the day he dropped a letter to (lawmakers) ... right before the election,” John Podesta said during an interview on The Hill’s new morning TV show, "Rising."

“He refused to take the advice of senior people in the Justice Department, so I’m not going to defend him," Podesta told co-host Krystal Ball just hours before the release of a Justice Department inspector general report. Observers expect that report to be critical Comey’s leadership of the FBI, including his decision to announce a reopening of the Clinton email investigation just days before the election.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/392239-clinton-campaign-chief-says-there-is-good-evidence-comey-blew-the-election

14 replies, 599 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 09:36 AM

1. He is absolutely right. Comey knew what he was doing, and he is as responsible as all the other

deplorables for the horrific times we're living in now.

The fact that he is such a self-righteous hypocrite makes him even more revolting.

I despise him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 09:50 AM

2. I believe 538 provided that evidence many months ago.

Unfortunately, the disaster can’t be undone.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:09 AM

3. I don't think such a claim can ever be proven...

...as possible as it seems. How does one go about isolating the Comey Effect from any of the hundreds of other factors a work in the election?

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:33 AM

8. There was a significant drop in the polls directly after the second Comey announcement

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

That said, while Comey's actions weren't in Clinton's hands, if she never had the server, there's no announcement for Comey to make and she almost certainly wins. Having the server, knowing she was going to run in 2016 and how much Republicans hate her, was stupid.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 03:40 PM

10. In a race that close, any number of individual factors could have swung the election.

PA, MI, WI and FL all could have been won by Clinton were it not for Comey's last minute announcement, or if Comey had instead announced that Trump was under investigation.

But, no, there isn't a way to prove Clinton would have reached 270+ electoral votes.

That said, I have little doubt Clinton would have reached 270+ if not for Comey or Russia or voter suppression or an irresponsible media. Clinton may have even won NC, AZ, GA and some other states.

Reply to this post

Response to Garrett78 (Reply #10)

Fri Jun 15, 2018, 11:50 AM

12. In a race this complex, we can't identify any one thing as responsible...

...and isolating its effects is not possible.

And even if we could, it would be fair to identify more significant factors as much more responsible. But yeah, in a system rife with corruption and lacking transparency, it' really tempting to say that all would have been well if not for Comey.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #12)

Fri Jun 15, 2018, 11:56 AM

13. Yes, Comey's last minute announcement would rank below those other factors I listed.

But it alone could have done the trick, given how close MI, PA and WI were. We agree, though, that there's no way to prove that.

But not all would have been well in a society that actually took Trump seriously.

Reply to this post

Response to Garrett78 (Reply #13)

Fri Jun 15, 2018, 11:58 AM

14. Well, my point is that it alone *wouldn't* have done the trick...

...but I guess it may have tipped a near thing into the current disaster.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:10 AM

4. Hate him all you want

But this is a smokescreen. All we need to focus on now is getting Trump out. If this isn't taking us to that goal, I don't care.

Reply to this post

Response to sarah FAILIN (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:13 AM

5. Exactly. What's done is done. We have to chart a new future for this country.

We have to run though Trump and the Republicans, not against them.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:20 AM

6. Of course there is

Comeys only concern was his reputation.

He was sure Clinton would win, and didn’t want to look like he was covering up anything for her. So he violated all kinds of DOJ policy to grab the spotlight for himself and do all he could to make it look like he wasn’t “helping” her, sure she had it locked up.

And he way miscalculated, because he thought he was above DOJ policy and could better guess.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 10:29 AM

7. It doesn't take a genius to see that...

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 03:28 PM

9. Kick

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 14, 2018, 05:52 PM

11. Podesta was one one who facilitated the Wikileaks breach of the campaign

Fell for a fake email link that anyone with any intelligence would have noticed was a scammer.
Yet, blames everyone but himself.....

Wonder how many votes that might have cost ?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread